Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Lonesome Road Blues

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/lonesome-road-blues-banjo-advanced

Can you say SIX SOLOS!? This Alan Munde arrangement gives us everything we desire in this old standard! Let’s dive in!

11 Likes

Wow @BanjoBen this is a HOT lesson. Some classic Scruggs and Melodic Licks in the mix. Should keep me busy for a few weeks.

4 Likes

Agreed (although for me it’s gonna be more like a few months). My up the neck playing isn’t strong so this is fantastic and should help a lot with that.

3 Likes

Juicy solos with a smorgasbord of creative licks. Another example of why this site sets the standard for learning. Can’t wait to dive in!

3 Likes

I ,a beginner banjoist, am now officially forced to learn this because of the sheer awesomeness contained therein, however long it might take me. Thanks @BanjoBen!

3 Likes

Pure awesomeness! And man, that Twanger sounds so good. I can’t wait to get mine!

5 Likes

That’s so awesome Ben. I’ve never heard anything like that before! Pure dynamite I tell ya! I want a Twanger sooo bad. I know I could never do something like that just cause I had a Twanger but I could do some other things. :grin:

2 Likes

Yep, I second that.

3 Likes

Me too :sunglasses:

5 Likes

These fantastic up the neck licks will lend themselves to other songs. I think learning this song will help anyone get better faster. I think this just took the “My favorite banjo lesson”.

2 Likes

Just one word… BRILLIANT!

2 Likes

One of the best Banjo lessons to date Ben, great job as always.

DB

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I hear the lesson, but cannot see it. all I see is a white circle spinning around on a brown background.
I don’t know why this is. The lesson sounds awesome and I want to learn it, but I have to see and hear to learn. If y’all know what is wrong with my set up, let me know. Thanks

Dean

2 Likes

Hi @DLS Dean What kind of device and browser type are you using to access the lesson? Sounds as though you may have a slow internet connection that’s causing the video to buffer. Are you able to try another computer / browser ?

2 Likes

Howdy Dean! Yep, I think it’s a browser upgrade issue. See what you can do about updating that browser or using a different one, thanks!

2 Likes

So I sat down with this last night and tried to dig in. For some reason (I was telling myself I was too tired) nothing was sticking. Nothing was clicking the way it normally does, so after about 30 minutes I went to bed.

Tonight, I decided to change up my approach and watch the video instead of just use the tab. That made all the difference in the world. I only had to pause the video a couple of times, so in about 15 minutes, I was playing the 1st solo. Slow as molasses, but it’s clicking like normal.

So, for you tab learners like me, if this tab isn’t working out for you like normal, I encourage you to use the video more on this one. It’s definitely working for me.

6 Likes

@Mark_Rocka

Some sound advice here buddy pun intended.

I know the frustrations that folks go through. In my case the first solo came fairly easy. So I jumped to the melodic phrase because I knew that would be the challenge for me and now I am stuck.

All weekend I have been trying to get this right. I’ve watched the video closely to see how @BanjoBen frets things, I have listened to the phrase countless times and I have been working with the Tef file.

This is a tough challenge and will require more patience, practice and perseverance than normal. After all it’s an Alan Munde Arr and these are always a lot more challenging to learn.

So to ALL of you working on this arrangement I echo @Mark_Rocka advice. Stick with it. It’s a big cake so don’t try to eat it all at once.

Happy Pickin

3 Likes

YEP! @Mark_Rocka and @Archie are on to this. Many years ago I learned two breaks to LRB… not as cool as this. When I heard this I knew I had to get this. The syncopation in the first solo is addictive. I thought I would get this in no time. I jumped into the tab but got no where. I watched the first solo video and was amazed by the finger position explanation. Progress was made.

The added inspiration comes from this being an Alan Munde arrangement. I can’t wait for the time to dive into all the breaks.

3 Likes

Wheweee, that’s a hot lick!

5 Likes

Hey Mike! Welcome to the board!

Which lick do you think is the hottest? There are so many in this lesson I’m having trouble picking just one. :smiley:

3 Likes