Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Life's Railway to Heaven- Solo & Backup

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/lifes-railway-to-heaven-solo-backup-banjo

This is a slower tempo tune and we’re gonna follow the melody. However, we’ll add some tricks to keep folks from falling asleep! May you have crisp pull-offs and clean bends, and enjoy the Scruggs tab included as well.

1 Like

Thanks for this awesome lesson! When I joined my first string band in Tennessee over 25 years ago, this was the first song we worked on, so it brings back great memories for me. However, my skill level then was such that I could only play backup. I’ve wanted to play the lead on this song for some time, but have never been able to. I have books of gospel music for the banjo that have the song, but the tabs aren’t nearly as good as yours and they’re really difficult (even though they say they’re not). Yours is perfect - sounds great and it’s not that hard.

But …

Where’s the chorus? One of my favorite parts of the song was the G -G7-C transition between the end of the verse and the chorus. I was really looking forward to what you did with that segment and the chorus itself. Will you be adding the chorus to this lesson, or will that be a separate lesson? I hope to see it soon!

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words! I taught the verse only because historically that’s what is played as the solo. I don’t plan on teaching the chorus right now. Thanks!

1 Like

This version sounds really nice.
I am good with the chorus - cause I made something up that sounds OK. But I really like the snappiness of your verse.
My question is that some time ago I saw you on a YouTube video stating that you had transcribed Earl’s version. THAT version (Earl’s - As he did with Johnny Cash) is the sound I’m after. Is your transcription of what you believe Earl played included in this purchase?

1 Like

Here you go @twilde5 : Ban-LifesRailwayHeaven-Scruggs.pdf (109.3 KB)

2 Likes

Awesome stuff. The backup is great and simple. Do you have any videos that teach just a simple backup like the one featured in this video? Knowing how you play that would definitely help me “fill in” my sound when playing backup.

2 Likes

Hey @austin.morris check out the backup banjo utilty rolls. I use these a lot and find they provide a very good filler for your backup. You can also try throwing any normal short scruggs or melodic licks into the roll to help add spice.

3 Likes

Every gospel jam I go to, this song seems to get requested, So this video helped me out as far as both kickoff and chorus. The chorus is pretty straight forward. And such a great version to play along with. But I learned banjo bens version and it spices it up a bit in some spots. And such a great song!
1 Like