Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Keep on the Sunny Side

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/keep-on-the-sunny-side-banjo

I love building breaks that interpret the melody of a tune in a unique way, and that’s exactly what we have here! This solo is not too difficult, but it’s got some tricks that will keep you on your toes and turn that frown upside-down!

2 Likes

TEF file is not working for me Ben!

Hey @mattgibsn - Sorry you’re having trouble with that. I just hopped over there and downloaded that file as a test and it worked fine on my end.

I’m not a techy guy, but I’ll tag @Mark_Rocka and when he gets here I bet he can get you all fixed up.

2 Likes

Hi William do you have TefView/TablEdit installed on your device ?

1 Like

What @Archie said. If you don’t have the TEF viewer, head over to here and download you a free copy.

https://www.tabledit.com/tefview/download.shtml

Since this lesson popped up again, just wanted to say, this is one of my fav tunes to play. The lesson looks daunting at first, but it’s easy to learn and really fun.

1 Like

It’s working now. I’ve had tabledit for awhile, it’s a great learning tool. Thanks for providing them and thanks for the quick response!

2 Likes

Great lesson, am learning it because my banjo teacher/jam friend and my old guitar teacher and I are playing at a veteran’s dinner and are doing this one. Some neat licks in there.

2 Likes

I love this old Carter family tune. I am working on all three solos: guitar, mandolin, and banjo.

2 Likes

So nice of Ben to whisper “You did it” at the end of the jam track. It’s like a mildly creepy “at-a-boy” to keep me going. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did it! Despite honey-dos from both the wife and the mother-in-law all day long, I managed to get this one up to speed. I agree with @MissMaggie that this one is deceptively easy. Ben throws a couple of little gotchas in there to keep it interesting, but it’s only just enough to make you feel like you’re mildly stretching yourself.

Three new songs in one week! Whew! I believe that’s a personal record!

6 Likes

Yessir! Sounding great!

I wonder what it was this week that got you going…

No doubt about it. The camp in Texas lit the fire, and attending the jam last Monday and promising to be back tomorrow fanned the flame.

I always feel energized after a camp, but this is the first time I’ve actually been able to find a local jam after coming home.

4 Likes

Heck yeah, man!

2 Likes

Your on a ROLL. @Mark_Rocka

I use this tune as a warmup. The only downside is it seems to be over before it begin s

1 Like

Is @MissMaggie still active on the Forum? Don’t recall seeing her post in a long while.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s definitely a short one, which is why I was able to absorb it in a day.

I haven’t seen her here in a long while. She sends me a link in Facebook messenger every now and then. Other than that she’s pretty quiet.

1 Like

Well that was too cool for school Mark, great job. I miss you guys, say hey to the gang for me.
Cheers,
Maggie

4 Likes

Archie my dear :slight_smile: Well this is some timing, hey. I just happened to hop on for a few minutes to see what’s going on and saw Mark’s video and noticed your comment. I hope you are well darlin’.

Sorry I’ve been so absent for so long, I miss all y’all. Life happened don’t ya know and I got pulled in other directions. I’ll try to check in when I can. Say hey to everyone for me.

Cheers,
Maggie

3 Likes

Missed you sweetheart, must be close on a year since we seen you round these parts. Hope all is well with you Maggie.

3 Likes