Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Joy To The World - Jazzy

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/joy-to-the-world-jazzy-banjo

Joy to the World, the Lord is Come! To me, there are no sweeter words in the world! This is the “jazzy” version that I…um, I mean, Banjo Billy…played in the viral YouTube video. This one has lots of cool licks in it, and it’s sure to warm Grandma’s heart this Christmas!

2 Likes

Hey there! Very cool version with some great appropriate licks!

Quick question: the backup stuff you are using in this video… is there a lesson or two you might be able to point to that encompassed most of it?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t think Ben has anything specific for this song, but when I recorded the video I put out last year, I used this lesson to put together the banjo backing track. I think it fit really well!

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/backup-banjo-utility-rolls-banjo-intermediate

Here’s the video in question if you want to hear what that lesson sounds like as backup in his song. I played it close to the neck to get a mellow sound.

9 Likes

Great job on the video @Mark_Rocka, love the Banjo Billy look during the banjo part. What is the giant mandolin thing? Also, did you use the same program you previously mentioned to make this?

2 Likes

Thanks Harrison!

It’s an electric mandola that was originally built by a good friend of mine for Paul Buskirk, Willie Nelson’s mentor. It actually has Paul’s social security number hand written under the pickup. :slight_smile: One of two instruments I have with a cool story behind it.

And yes, I used the same software for that video.

2 Likes

Hey Mark! Love the video! How cool! :slight_smile:Thanks also for the utility roll link. I have looked over that lesson briefly once, but haven’t really dug in in a “let’s use these outside this lesson” (because simply I hadn’t put the time into adapting them for different tunes).

This is all super helpful though! (Love this community) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fantastic Mark! Even though brother Ben put this out a few years ago, I am trying to tackle all three parts like you did! The banjo is my biggest challenge!

3 Likes

Great job

1 Like

Thanks! I can’t believe that was 3 years ago.

Very cool. Do you have any other videos featuring the mandola?

1 Like

Not that I recall. There’s not a lot of demand for a 4 string electric mandola, so I don’t spend a lot of time on it.

1 Like

It sounded to me like something that would be in a Roy Orbison tune.

1 Like

Ha! Yeah, you’re right! I mean, it’s really just a mandolin shaped electric guitar when you think about it. There’s nothing that gives it a unique mandola sound.

1 Like