Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Joy To The World- Basic

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/joy-to-the-world-basic-banjo

Joy to the World, the Lord is come! Are there any sweeter words in the world? Enjoy this basic version of this classic Christmas hymn…it’s better than a fruitcake from Aunt Milda!

1 Like

I found this one really hard to get going… it looks simple enough but its really tripping me up.

3 Likes

Welcome to the board! These are the tabs that I have to really spend more time on and this one is a work in progress.

2 Likes

This does present some special timing challenges that will expand your skills and make intermediate picking more achievable. Keep at it. It’s worth it, for sure.
This is a great way to advance, trying tricky maneuvers to a familiar melody.

2 Likes

I can play the slow speed version relatively comfortably, improving and feel I want to increase speed. When I attempt the 140BPM track, I am completely lost with the rhythm and the backing, I cannot work out if I am fast or slow. Any thoughts? Should I just try with a metronome instead? I can see the benefit for playing with a group of people but I do not hear the melody in the backing track.

1 Like

Are you playing along with the TAB or MP3 File. I find playing along/ practicing with the TEF file help me build speed by adjusting in small increments. Once I feel comfortable I move to the MP3 backing tracks

3 Likes

@reteps76, @Archie has a great answer here. Try the TEF files!

I’ll probably win the dumb question award but what is the TEF file? I see it is an option but when I click it, it opens nothing other than a box from Microsoft to look for an App. All it gives me is things in some sort of Asian language as options. Bring on the dunce cap, I’m ready.

1 Like

Hi Marc

NO it’s not a dumb question. I am sure there are many out there who don’t know what a TEF File is but are afraid to ask.

A TEF File is a special type of TAB file that requires a piece of software to open the file and allow you to view and listen to the TAB in a midi format. There is a FREE version of the software called TEFView and the paid version TablEdit that also allows you to create and edit TABs. (LINK below the videos)

Watch these videos they will explain things better than I can.

Find the software here

https://tabledit.com/