Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: John Henry- Intermediate

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/john-henry-intermediate-banjo

If you’ve never played this tune before, check out the basic version first, then dive into this one! This is an Alan Munde break that has hints of melodic goodness and is engineered to play at blistering speeds!

So I’ve got the whole song down at about 220 bpm but when I go to the backing track the kick off is really screwing me up. The “one two, one two three” and then the lead in with the guitar I’m finding crazy aggravating. Any hints?

1 Like

The first note of the solo should be played on the beat following “three”, happening at the same time as the first note of the guitar walk.

2 Likes

Hi @ambergkeith I found it helpful playing along with the banjo solo. I downloaded the Guitar and Banjo Mp3 files slowed them down in Audacity and gradually speeded them up as I practiced. Doing this helped me come in at the right time for the kick-off

2 Likes

Thanks. That was throwing me off. After three I counted four, then I figured it started the measure of the lead in so I counted another rest. So in jams, I usually hear “a one, two, a one two three four” and then I start playing.

1 Like

I wish the banjo tab had the words written in. I am having trouble getting the right emphasis on various notes. Has anyone tried to write in the words?

Hi @sportmcm Christopher welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

Adding lyrics to TAB is very laborious and time consuming. My guess is @BanjoBen just doesn’t have the time to do this. I think he did it a couple of times but I can’t remember which tunes.

1 Like

Thanks Archie. Yes, this is my first time on the forum and starting to get ready for my first banjo camp in Sept/Oct. I am sure you are right about the labor involved in adding the lyrics. I have seen a few that Banjo Ben has posted, but you are right – just a few. Anyway, onward and upward.

2 Likes