Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear- 4/4

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/it-came-upon-a-midnight-clear-4-4-banjo-intermediate

When I hear most any song, I think: What would this sound like with banjo? The same is true with this classic Christmas waltz! I simply added another beat per measure and it’s now a regular bluegrass standard!

4 Likes

What’s funny is… it doesn’t sound wrong in 4. Nicely done!

Next year do it in 5! :wink: (just kidding)

6 Likes

Man that Twanger sounds SOOO GOOD!

When I read the title I thought “Ben, what have you done?” Then I heard it and said “Honey, come listen to what Ben did!”

3 Likes

Yeah! now that is what bluegrass christmas is all about! It’s too bad I can’t do it as a duet with the guitar one though…

1 Like

It shouldn’t be too hard to take what we have here and make a basic waltzy version.

2 Likes

or vice-versa

1 Like

Well, I used to play Amazing Grace in 4/4 cuz I didn’t know any better :joy::joy:

2 Likes

:joy: I tried to write a tab for Amazing Grace, but was having some timing issues… Because it’s not in default (4/4)

1 Like

Y’all want me to do a guitar and mando version of this? Want to give me some ideas and I mash them together?

4 Likes

That would be great! I would like a lot of blues notes, but not some many that the melody can’t be distinguished.

1 Like

Yes mando too please!!!

3 Likes

Yes please do mando!

1 Like

I could use a geetar version in my life…and make it spicy!!

1 Like

Yup, to mando plz!!!

1 Like

Well, I’m several days late, but I kept getting interrupted trying to learn the lesson. What’s with people wanting “family time” and “holiday togetherness” anyway? Sheesh! :laughing:

Seriously fun lesson, and not too difficult to get up to speed. Highly recommended.

6 Likes

Sweet pickin’ going on there!

2 Likes

throw_snowball

That was awesome @Mark_Rocka

2 Likes

This is such a cool version, it sounds silly to say what my favorite is. Toward the end of the song, after the B, Em, and A, there’s a D run in there that starts with a single open 1st string. I’ve played that run thousands of times, but I’ve always played it with 2 picks of the first string so the lick finishes with the 3rd string open on the G chord change.

Ben dropped one of those open D notes so he had time to get to the 3rd string slide for the G chord. That one tiny little change opened up new possibilities for that old D chord run.

2 Likes

well done sir!

2 Likes

@Mark_Rocka
That was great Mark!!! Super clean!!
Enjoyed it!! :sunglasses::+1::grin:

Better late than never! And I know exactly what you mean about “interrupted,” haha! :grin:… I was trying to get that same song (mando part of mando/guitar duet version) clean in time for Christmas but started working on it too late & it didn’t happen; hence the last ditch bluegrass white snow attempt!

3 Likes