Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Intro to Minor Blues Scale

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/intro-to-minor-blues-scale-banjo-advanced

Some of the coolest banjo licks I know employ the minor blues scale! We need to know it, so let’s learn what it is and how to use it…and of course some hot licks!

4 Likes

Here’s a great pre-req lesson: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/introduction-to-melodic-banjo-banjo

2 Likes

Loved the triplets! Something to work on for sure! :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you! Some things are beginning to click now (licks & scales). I surely do appreciate this one immensely. Great stuff, Ben!

2 Likes

The dogs love red meat…I see this stuff in a lot of stuff, this fill the gaps. Really like it when the theory is there to hang everything onto. Also seeing how to apply it is great.

1 Like

Great Lesson @BanjoBen I have always kinda steered well clear of bluesy stuff, But I am really enjoying working through this lesson. I am halfway through the licks section struggling to get some clean notes on the thumb over the 5th string section.

1 Like

Some fun stuff! Now to get the fingers to go in these foreign territories. I have learned some melodic songs, all in G, so I’m used to playing a bit up the neck, but found myself going to ‘familiar’ frets. Really will enjoy learning to use different parts of the neck.

4 Likes

Hi @captstevehardy Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. I too love this lesson, It amazes me how I just keep discovering new things on the fret board in every new lesson I work through.

2 Likes

Hey @BanjoBen in the Learn the Licks section, measure 51, where you do that amazing choke. How do you get the warble into the choke. I hear you do it a lot and try as I might I just can’t seem to replicate that sound and I end up with either a simple bend and release or I stumble, getting my fingers caught up in the strings

1 Like

Hmmm, I can’t really say unless I could hear your attempt, perhaps?

1 Like

Hey @BanjoBen
This lesson was posted over a year ago but it will never get old. It took me a long time to get it down but I think I got it - Love this idea, thanks for sharing the knowledge

7 Likes

yeah man, you’re getting it now!

2 Likes

Just joined yesterday, this lesson alone is worth the price! I might steal some of these licks for my electric guitar jams. Great stuff!

3 Likes

@ss092281 welcome to the board!

2 Likes

Hi Ben, Thanks for the intro to the scale. I tried using the minor blues scale in an a part of a song that required the relative minor. . It did not work. I confused the minor blues with the relative Minor I guess. I was looking for sort of a melodic Em run if there is such a thing. Richard Baily of The Steeldrivers does this melodic sort of run in Em during the song "Can You Run. " At the 2:17 mark it begins on this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83KTgzk5Hww Em being the relative of G, is he doing a melodic G run through this Em? Or is there a scale for relative minors? Im wondering what science he is using there so I can find something simaliar to do there. Ive wondered about that concept for a while now. I tried melodic G and it almost seems to work, but I dont think it does. Maybe this would be a topic you would like to cover one day. Relative minor scales, if they exist. Thanks Ben for the website and all your hard work

1 Like

Hey Richard, keep in mind the Em scale is the same as the Gmaj scale – try messing around with the G major scale, landing on E, and see if it sounds a little better!

Thank you. I suspected this was the answer. Thanks a ton! I just tried the G major scale again in melodic and it sounded right this time. Ben I am all set and dont need an individual reply. Thanks again Michael!

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad that helped you out. Holler at us if you need anything else!

1 Like