Discuss the Banjo lesson: Intro to Banjo Chokes

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/intro-to-banjo-chokes-banjo

Let’s look at the only possible time it’s actually GOOD to choke on something.

Ben, the shave and haircut lick is described as a G/Em lick. I was wondering if it could be moved up two frets to be made an A lick. The only problem seems to be the fifth string which is played open in G/Em. It isn’t possible to jump down, hit an A on the fifth string, and get back in time to play the rest of it. So instead of playing the fifth string, I just play A on the B string (10th fret) single string style, playing the same note twice. It doesn’t have the pizzazz that it does in G/Em, but so many tunes are played in A that I wondered if that is something worth developing, or does it fall into the “Yeah, you can do that, but it isn’t a good idea,” category. Thanks.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a banjo player play a song in A without a capo. I mean, I guess you could, but for Ab through maybe as high as B, maybe even C, a capo is really the way to go.

Do you have 5th string spikes on your banjo?

Good point. I forgot about that. Thanks. (I don’t have spikes.)

If you don’t want to mess with spikes, check Ben’s store tomorrow. He may put these on sale for Cyber Monday.

If you do feel like being handy, here’s a video by @Jake on how to install them.

@The_Mole I think it’s great practice to figure out how to play any and all licks in other keys and how to cover or manipulate the notes that don’t fit. Great job!