Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: In the Sweet By-and-By

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/in-the-sweet-by-and-by-banjo

There’s nothing sweeter than the words of this classic hymn, and I wanted to take this opportunity to teach another banjo tune in the key of C, but open G position! This one “swings” a bit, which makes it really fun to play.

1 Like

Hi @BanjoBen in this lesson you discuss the use of swing eighth notes. But I see from the .tef file it’s set for Jazz Eighths. Just a quick query.

1 Like

It’s been my experience that setting TablEdit’s MIDI options to Jazz produces a more “swing feel” than actually setting it to swing. I’ve opted for the Jazz setting on more than one occasion for that reason. I’m betting Ben’s doing the same.

2 Likes

Hi @Mark_Rocka I am sure your right just wanted to hear what @BanjoBen 's thoughts were,

2 Likes

I get the “swing” by messing with the syncopation setting here:

Hi @BanjoBen Yup I know how to change the setting. My query was about the actual setting in the Tef file I downloaded, it was set at Jazz Eights but in the lesson your discussing Swing Eighths. Just wondering what your indented setting should be Jazz or Swing ?

Honestly, I didn’t even know there was such a thing, haha.

Hi Ben…
Regarding to messure 17 I‘m just ask myself if it dosen‘t make sense to use the index finger instead of ring finger to fret 5 fret 2nd string and be already prepared for the following three pinches… or would this be a wrong move?
Thanks and greets
Hans

1 Like

Yep, I think that would make a lot of sense! Haha. Good thinkin’!

I may have picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue, but I think the three mp3s (120, 150 and 180) are hitting the last chord on 3 instead of 4. The mp3 with the solo seems to end on 4 (in line with the tab). Not the end of the world, but figured I’d mention it in case anyone else was having trouble ending with the track.

Again, it may just be me. Crazy Mike. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By the way, I love the arrangement!

So tell me, do you like gladiator movies?

1 Like

Surely you can’t be serious?!?

I am serious and don’t call me Shirley.

1 Like

:rofl: