Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: I Am A Pilgrim

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/i-am-a-pilgrim-banjo

I don’t know if you’re a pilgrim or not, but you should play this song anyway. There are several guys that play this song incredibly, but most I’ve heard have been on guitar (Tony Rice, Clarence White, etc.). It’s fairly simple but tasty enough for any stage. Enjoy!

I might be doing something wrong but at measure 14 and the ending both seem different then what is on the tab when listening to the mp3s and the lesson preview. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Hi Dave I have checked both sets of TAB the ( TEF & PDF ) against the on screen TAB and all seem accurate to what @BanjoBen explains in the lesson. I have also compared the MP3 file with the backup file that has the banjo present and it seems fine too.

The only thing I feel might be different is that Ben’s Melodic arrangement does sound different to a straight forward arrangement of this tune. Personally I prefer a straight forward arrangement of I am a Pilgrim without all the fancy melodic twiddle bits. But this lesson is about teaching Melodic Banjo. If you don’t like the way that Ben plays it that’s fine. Find a lick that you do like and switch it around Ben won’t mind, in fact I know he would encourage you to do so.

I can’t hear any discrepancies… is there a specific note that you can pinpoint that sounds different?

I think the pull off was giving me trouble. On measure 14 where it goes 2 3 Pull off 2 0 I was waiting to long before doing the pull off and it just didn’t sound right. for some reason today it just clicked. My bad. Sorry to waste your time. I appreciate all the feedback.

4 Likes

No problem Dave! Glad you figured it out!

2 Likes

No need to apologise Dave, Happy to help where I am able

1 Like