Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: How to Play in "D"

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/how-to-play-in-d-banjo

When the song is in “D,” do you find yourself wanting to toss your banjo to the curb? Fear no more! “D” doesn’t stand for delusional…it stands for DONE! Let me help clear the fog between you and the big D…and I don’t mean Dallas.

1 Like

Hi

As always, enjoyed the lesson.

I really like the metronome in the background. Helps a lot.

Thanks

1 Like

Great exercise for playing in D but the 5th string hooked up to A always sounds a bit off behind the G chord. I realise this is because there’s no A in a G chord but there is in the D and A chords. Should the 5th string (at A) simply be avoided when playing G chords? (yes I have retuned the 5th string slightly so it’s a proper G)

Hi Grahame No not really. when you play up to speed that A note goes by so fast you don’t hear it. Its fair to say that some tunes in D are played in open G tuning. Alan Munde has arranged several tunes in D where he retains standard G tuning. The G note can also stand out against an A chord. You should go with whatever tuning the “Arranger” has determined for the tune. Learn to embrace the sound.

3 Likes

I think it sounds fine for how long you typically play over a G chord while in key of D. It’s not that bad since the G scale does have an A note in it.

1 Like