Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Hop, Skip, & Jump– Pull-Offs

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/hop-skip-jump-pull-offs-banjo

We want to pull our strings, not a hammie, so do your stretches and let’s dive into this one!

1 Like

Ben - Reviewing the fundamentals and in the area of Pull-offs I’m having some difficulty. Love the Hop, Skip and Jump exercise, but I find that my pull-offs on third string are muting the second string. Not the middle finger as much as the index holding the third string second fret. It seems my fat fingers are damping the second string. I have tried adjusting my hand position and that sometimes works. Do you have a lesson on hand positioning? Where to place the thumb on the backside of the neck, Fingers should come straight down on the neck? I find think my posture is a contributor and cradling the neck will mute the first string as well. I know that bowing a violin is a fundamental skill for violinists, any advice for the proper standard for left hand positioning?

Yep, here you go: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-hand-positions-banjo

You can also make a quick video of your left hand and submit it on the forum for critique :slight_smile:

I think this is one of the best exercises yet. I am taking the approach to the lessons that I wont move on till I have the exercise memorized. This has just been a blast to learn slow, (sounds almost oriental) and the faster I get the more fun it is. Wife said this one is a little repetitious for her to hear but considering that’s the first time I have heard that I think I am doing good. Thanks for building this out. It absolutely got me more confident in pull offs. Now I’m trying to throw them in everywhere I can find a good spot.

1 Like

I love this lesson! What a catchy little tune and it’s fun to play. I’m trying to memorize it and hoping I can play it at the speed in your preview.

2 Likes

Thanks @BanjoBen for this great Lesson! Love it! I think its one of the best lesson for Pull-offs, AND Timing! A simple tune, but for me really difficult to play perfectly… but really funny to play! :grinning:

https://youtu.be/f-UoQYIaK7g

6 Likes

jpg @Severin Love that lesson too

3 Likes

I gotta say. This technique is the hardest for me so far. All the others I could get slowly and then work up. This one is going to take some practice to get even slowly. I find the pull off slightly easier than the push off, but both are eluding me currently. Anyone in the forum have any suggestions beyond just keep reviewing the lessons, practicing the pdfs and giving it time?

@pastormac My suggestion is keep reviewing the lessons, practicing the pdfs, and give it time. :wink:

The pull-off (or push-off) was very difficult for me. Literally took me a couple of years to get the sound I was after, and even then it seemed like it was only occasionally. Currently, I have days where I play them pretty well and other days where I still struggle with it. But I had a discussion about pull-offs with Kristin Scott Benson at an event Ben held last summer, and she said even now she doesn’t nail them every single time.

1 Like

Often when I am trying to work on something like that, I sit down on the sofa, take off my picks, put a mute on the bridge, and sit there and watch tv while just doing that one thing over and over, breaking it down into very small bits at a time (ex: just PO/PU over and over on the first string, then on to the next. Very slow. It’ll come, it took me awhile too, I still work on it.

1 Like

@rspillers It’s always disappointing, but full of credibility when the answer is that there is no magic answer. lol. Thanks for the encouragement.

@Brent.H. That’s good advice. Thanks for the encouragement. By the way you’re not the first person to mention a mute. Is this an actual thing, or just a loose capo or anything to mute the strings?

Never mind. I found one in the Banjo Ben store. Should have just looked there first. Sounds like a great thing for a beginner banjo player with a wife. lol!

1 Like

Hi @pastormac David Learning Pull Offs, Push Off, Slides and Chokes is a PAINFULLY slow process. You need to build callouses (hard pads on your fingertips) that will help you get a good snap with your pull offs… When I was a beginner I tried to rush the process and ended up with deep groves and painfully bleeding fingertips. I see you are already learning to follow advice. Just keep reviewing the lessons, practicing and giving it time?

Of course I could phrase it differently but it amounts to the same thing. Patience, Perseverance, Practice lot’s of it!

1 Like

Hello @archie. Every time I learn a new technique my callouses get callouses. lol I would be a fool not to take advice, and so far yours and everyone else’s on this forum has been really good. Ben’s lessons are really great, but being able to ask questions in the forum really increases the value. Fortunately I’m really. having a ball learning, so practice is not a chore. I really am very grateful for Banjo Ben and his training. It’s so thorough, and carefully put together, I really am progressing well, I think. (although I don’t have any one else to compare with really) I just get impatient sometimes. My wife keeps reminding me I’ve only been at this a month.

1 Like

Here’s my tip for today. DON’T compare yourself to others it’s a mistake many newbies make. As it sows the seeds of doubt.

When your ready create a video and post it in the Video Swap area. @BanjoBen will assess your progress and offer up any advice he thinks is needed.

Everyone here has trod the path you are on. We know about the still hills you have to climb. We know all about the frustrations you face and we know about your enthusiasm you have to move forward. Enjoy your journey.

1 Like

Thanks again @Archie This is very helpful. I would love that comment twice if I could. I’ve been thinking about the benefits of posting a video to get some feedback from @banjoben since I don’t have really any assessment but my own. It is indeed always an easy temptation to compare rather than simply moving forward at whatever pace is my own. Do you have any suggestion what is most helpful to post in receiving feedback? Should I post a song I feel I do best, or one I am struggling with or one of each?

2 Likes

Hi @pastormac David. You are never going to be as good as the person you compare yourself with so for that reason it’s a pointless exercise. Just post a recording of something you are working on. A tune a lick whatever. It doesn’t need to be perfect.

1 Like