Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Frettin' the 5th String!

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/frettin-the-5th-string-banjo-intermediate

Get that thumb over the top! Let’s talk 5th string theory, technique, then learn some licks that make that 5th string work!

9 Likes

OH COME ON NOW ! REALLY??? I tried that already, needs work!!! But what the heck your the boss!!! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

WOW :star_struck: This is so cool!! Thanks so much for this lesson @BanjoBen!! I will try to post something on here soon!

5 Likes

You know what @BanjoBen the more I hang out here the more I am convinced you are clairvoyant Sir.

This past couple of weeks I have been doing lot’s of practice hooking the fifth string on a couple of tunes I’ve been working on.

At first things were painfully slow, constantly hitting a bunch of dead notes but the more I work moving up and down the neck the more clarity and speed I am building.

Then this lesson just happens to pop up out of the blue and provides a big bag of tips and answers to a shed load of question. I was lining up to ask.

I just wanted to add that I have worked through a bunch of lessons on this very topic before with other teachers none have explained in such detail as you have. 1 very_happy You’ve just made my day Squeezebox

7 Likes

Let’s talk about that hat you are wearing…

What about it, my friend? After you spend a certain amount of dollars there, they give you a hat :wink:

1 Like

Dude…it’s not a Banjo Ben hat! BTW, I’ve been meaning to ask you. I am the guy who sent you that Halloween book last fall. Did you ever get a chance to share that with the kiddo’s?

I’ll reply in an email, thanks!

2 Likes

Didn’t he wear a Russ Carson 81crowe hat in a lesson before too?

1 Like

He wore it in the MINOR BLUES SCALES lesson. Honestly, I really love that hat.

2 Likes

@Archie I too have been practicing the bluesy version of the 5th String licks. I can only do the thumb wrapping practice for a few minutes and then it needs a rest. This lesson was more in-depth with variations than any explanation I’ve seen on this subject. Oh well, just another distraction to keep me from going the things I should be doing.

2 Likes

Hi Jeffrey In the beginning I could only tolerate short periods of practice due to the pain but over time I have been able to extend my practice duration. Not so easy to grow a callous on the thumb.

2 Likes

Don’t suppose anyone noticed the twinkle twinkle little lamb thing?

Yes, But you’ll see @BanjoBen added text Mary had a little lamb. on screen

1 Like

I like the Purple Hulls T. Any new cd’s from them?

1 Like

Hi John. Check out their website all the CDs are at the bottom of the screen

https://thepurplehulls.com/

Howdy! Is that a new TAMU tablecloth draped over the table in the corner? Good bull! :+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! there’s a hole lot of good people here so I hope you enjoy the ride as much as I am. Happy Pickin!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

That’s the old blanket, bought around '97 :wink:

4 Likes