Discuss the Banjo lesson: Fretboard Geography- Part 2

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/fretboard-geography-part-2-banjo

Part 2 of the Fretboard Geography course with Alan Munde!

Ben,

I appreciate you and Mr. Munde putting this series together. These exercises and the study of the fret board are helping tremendously. I find it much easier and faster to go up the neck than to come back down, but I’m working on it. This kind of information makes things so logical which I like. Thanks for the attention to detail.

Nathan

I was stuck on the beginner track for several months, and I wasn’t progressing as well as I would have liked. I decided to check out this lesson and it helped tremendously! It made playing much more logical and I feel like I know where to go on the fretboard if I feel like doing some basic improvisations now.

This lesson has been an eye opener if not a Revelation, as Alan explains why he calls the different shapes 1,2, & 3 because of the string and root note it really made things clear. So while I’m still learning to make these shapes and change while keeping time, some times I can just do the walk down on a certain string and still play along with the rhythm.
I hope this makes sense as I move from taking things out of my head and putting them down on paper(or computer).
any way thanks for the great lessons.

I really like this lesson. It is forcing me to figure out how to apply various backup techniques to songs. One thing I am not sure about though. When Alan says it does not matter which chords you are playing when going from one to the next, but where you end up. When I am walking chords like that, do I need to time it to where the walking is complete at the same time of the chord transition? In other words lets say there are 3 measures (12 beats) where it is G G C. I can play a G in the first measure, then use Am, Bm, in the second measure, and then hit C exactly at the beginning of the second measure. OR can I play G for 7 beats and then Am, Bm and play C for the second or third beat of the third measure? Seems like that might not sound right but I wanted to know what my limits are for good music. :slight_smile:

You’re first example is more correct. You’re leading into the C

It depends on the song but arriving at the chord before or after the rest of the band is a way to play some really cool stuff. I do it all the time, as it creates tension that gets resolved. However, you don’t want to draw it out too long and/or leave too much tension or it sounds like a mistake. And if the song is very “straight” sounding, you might not want to do it at all.