Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Fretboard Geography- Part 1

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/fretboard-geography-part-1-banjo

Part 1 of the Fretboard Geography course with Alan Munde!

3 Likes

I can’t get the PDF files to download so I can print them.

3 Likes

Hi Rickey It works for me.

Open the file by simply clicking on it. If you have a popup blocker you need to click ALLOW and try again. It should then allow you to Open or Save the file to your HD

1 Like

We’ve had some issues recently with login sessions expiring but not notifying the users. If Archie’s recommendation doesn’t resolve the issue, try logging out of the web site by clicking “Logout” at the top right of the page, then log right back in and try your download again.

3 Likes

I got it to work. It was user error.

3 Likes

Ok… So here it goes! I’m really to a point in which I want to just randomly play over rolls and I’m not sure what my hesitation is. However, when truly trying to unlock the fretboard I get confused by some of the fingering Vs. the Tablature. In the example of Fretboard Geography - Part 1, Measure 6 or (2:58) into the lesson; Alan’s fingering Vs. the Tab wasn’t the same. I see that on the G string or 3rd string his fingering on the 11th fret follows the scale. My question is why show the tab as 10 (1st), 10 (2nd), 11(3rd)?

5 Likes

Hey @smokeeater0076! Great to have you on board! I’m a bit confused with your question. You say his fingering on the 3rd string is the 11th fret, which is true. And then you say the tab shows the 3rd string on the 11th fret, which it does. So, he is playing what is on the tab. Check out this picture and let me know if I’m missing something, thanks!

3 Likes

Hey Ben! Thanks for the reply! It looks to me like the TAB is saying 10, 10, 11 and in the snipped portion of the video is he not just playing the 11th on the 3rd string with his index finger on the 10th fret 3rd string? Or am I just imagining things?

Thanks!

R/

Alex

3 Likes

He’s coming down from barring on the 12th fret, so he’s still barring across the 10th frets with his index, but playing the 11th fret on the 3rd string like the tab indicates.

3 Likes

I had a similar question, that danged F#dim confused me. Thanks for the clarification.

This is an EXCELLENT lesson and course. I’ve been really struggling with up-the-neck stuff and this is so helpful. I pick up something new every time I watch. Lightbulbs going off in my brain one after another!

Thanks so much.

4 Likes

Hello new guy here this lesson was awesome I’ve been playing banjo for maybe a month now I’ve messed with it on and off once or twice but really got into it now that I’ve been quarantined and have lots of time I’ve been playing guitar for 40 some years so once I got over the high G string bean on top and used to finger picks I kind of took off pretty good and this lesson I guess I already knew I just figured it out by accident and work my way up the neck but I was only doing strings 2 and 3 and didn’t realize to add in string once all I had to do was add the one I see the shapes and it just clicked so very cool thank you for the lessons I’ve got one more to watch on my free trial I do the yearly but that’s a little bit more than I plan on paying for my next banjo I’ve got a real crappy global but I’m learning on it and making good progress thanks again for your YouTube videos and the site I think I’ll do some monthly subscriptions

4 Likes

Hi Roy Welcome to BanjoBen 's Forum, Let me just say as a Lifetime Goldpick Member, this has been the best investment I ever made. The site is full of great content with new material added each week, better than any other site offering similar lessons on Banjo, Guitar and Mandolin. As a Gold Pick member you’ll have full access to all the lessons on the site. Unlike other sites that limit you to one instrument for each subscription. welcome

3 Likes

I also had to take a second look at how the 20th measure was being fretted. I am finding that barring the 1st and 2nd string while fretting the 3rd string with the middle finger is quite the challenge. I am muting the 1st & 2nd string with my middle finger.

4 Likes

It’s probably due to the angle of your wrist or how much space you have between the bottom edge of the neck and your hand. Also, check out the position of your thumb behind the neck. Are you grasping the neck or posting your thumb? Check out my hand’s position:

5 Likes

I bent my wrist more, rolling the hand more forward of the fretboard also dropping the thumb til it’s almost under the fretboard. I’m not muting strings anymore but wanted to check and see if this looked ok. Or if my hand is in too extreme of a position?

3 Likes

That’s too much…see how your fingers point straight up? Mine point at about a 20 degree angle from straight up. Try that and see.

2 Likes

I may have it. I changed the angle of my hand, the way you discussed it around the 3:00 min mark of the Shave and a Haircut Technique and Theory lesson. So I think I’m getting there. I’m guessing I also need to build up muscle strength in the index and middle fingers to bar better. Greatly appreciate the assist.

3 Likes

If I could just add, as someone progressing through the beginner track who came over to check out this lesson on the intermediate track, this feels like a tipping point where I go from someone who has a banjo to someone that plays the banjo. I don’t know, maybe. I’m just excited about this experience and this lesson really opened things up for me.

4 Likes

Hi,
I noticed that the last post to this thread was like six months ago … hope I’m not too late to the party!?

Regarding the fretting of the F#dim Chord … what finger do you suggest to barre the G at the 12th fret just before going to that F#dim?

I believe Alan will use his index.