Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Fireball Mail- Creating Drive

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/fireball-mail-creating-drive-banjo

Let’s work on getting some drive in your banjo playing. Lots of factors contribute to “drive,” and this tab illustrates how to create drive by reinforcing and driving the melody notes!

1 Like

Here is my take, tried some up the neck mumbo jumbo - Thanks @BanjoBen ! great lesson

:banjo::fire:

15 Likes

Mighty fine picking, sir!

4 Likes

This was great and you’re ALWAYS smiling when you’re picking which is awesome! Keep on pickin and grinnin :grin:!

3 Likes

jpg @frankb_be Francisco

3 Likes

Hey Man great to see another vid from you! I’m always super inspired by your playing so thanks. Great job as always!

3 Likes

Nice picking!

3 Likes

Any chance you could teach this for mandolin? It seems to come up a lot in jams recently

I’m finding it very hard going from measure 25 to 26. Starting the roll on the 5th string seems unnatural or something after hitting the 1st string. Is it just a matter of repetition?

1 Like

Hi Keith

So the last note in measure 25 is a quarter note and the open 5th string is in measure 26 is also a quarter note.

So rather than thinking these two measures as a continuous roll. Think NOTE NOTE Slide.
If your working off the TEF File highlight the two measures slow the speed right down and LISTEN that should help.

Then add the next measure a you should get a sense of the melody.

@BanjoBen likes to add quarter notes to his lessons to help you get a feel for the tune. Not too much clutter

2 Likes

@Archie gave great advice there. I admit this isn’t something you commonly run into on banjo but that also means we should be able to play what we need or want to play, even and especially when it’s something outside our normal patterns.

2 Likes