Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Essential Banjo Theory

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/essential-banjo-theory-banjo

Here’s some essential theory that every picker should know, but especially as we begin to build banjo solos and play backup!

1 Like

Just started the Basic Banjo Backup series. And as a younger man I played Piano and can relate to these lessons.
Awesome job of putting this in perspective for me.

1 Like

If somebody such as myself was interested in learning other scales, do you have any suggestions on where to go to learn those?

Depends on the scale, I reckon. Let me know how I can help you!

I must be missing something as I am still learning concept. On your discussion on finding major notes with the 1-1_1/2-1-1-1_1/2 guide, you count down on the low D string, whole, whole, half. But the second whole lands on a F# then half to a G note. Shouldn’t the low D starting at the nut be whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half, to hit the major notes? Your example on the open D string gets us to a full octave but not all the major notes. Did I hear wrong? Thanks.

@mslogowski

Welcome to the forum MIke!

On the D string Ben is showing a D major scale (D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D)

F# is two whole steps above the nut on the D string (4th fret)

If you played as you suggest you would get an F note for the third note…not part of the D major scale. (it is part of other scales though…The C scale or D minor scale for example)

Hope this clears things up, if still have questions let us know.

Dave

2 Likes

Welcome @mslogowski!

The open D to the 2nd fret would be the first whole step, then to the F# on the 4th fret would be the 2nd whole step…that make sense?

1 Like

OK, that makes sense now. Just learning theory and didn’t know the D scale has one sharp note.

2 Likes

Actually has two. When you follow it up it also has a C#.

Oops, I was looking at the G scale. Definitely need to continue learning music theory. Just trying to balance it with learning chords, rolls, tab, and practice. Just a little over 30 days learning.

1 Like

Hang in there! It all comes with time…:wink:

1 Like

@mslogowski Don’t overthink it. I think the main lesson here is the pattern. The pattern is the same for any major scale and it works the same on any fretted instrument. 2 frets, 2 frets, 1 fret, 2 frets, 2 frets, 2 frets, 1 fret. If you think in terms of intervals or numbers the only thing you need to know is what note you’re starting on.

I play piano and have just started the intermediate portion of the banjo lessons. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to warm up your fingers and what you should practice to get your fingers moving better?
I am also still having trouble keeping my right hand on the banjo head without it moving and throwing me off.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Don (Canada)

Hey Don! I usually warm up with a couple of songs I already know. A funny trick Katy taught us at Ben’s first camp was, if you’re physically cold, so some exercises like jumping jacks to get the blood flowing. It sounds silly, but it really works!

I like to anchor my pinky on the head where it’s just barely touching the bridge. Some bridges are kinda pointy down there. If yours is one of them, it’s OK to round out that point with a file. I’ve noticed a lot of newer bridges are coming that way, now.

Some people anchor pinky and ring fingers. Some just the pinky. If you’re having trouble with your anchor technique, try switching it to the other.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Ir does help!
Also, I’m partial to stretching and running hands under hot water if available.

Hi Don, If my hands are cold I wash them in warm soapy water or slip them under my arm pits. Once I start playing my fingers figure things out fairly quickly.

Disclaimer: I can’t play piano

I forgot about that! I should have done that at Galax, it was freezing. Although it was kinda making me slow down and play more tastefully :joy:

4 Likes

Would have given us all something entertaining to watch in the middle of the jam too.

2 Likes

For warming up cold hands, I use an electric hand warmer or else hot water from a sink. To warm up my hands while playing I usually start my practice with playing rhythm. I play a few songs out my bluetooth speaker and just strum along, gradually throwing in some licks and solos til I feel ready to start picking. My warmup songs vary but these days I usually start with “Give Us Rain” by Ricky Skaggs. The chords just feel fun.

2 Likes