Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cumberland Gap

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/cumberland-gap-banjo

This is an old, old folk song made very popular on the banjo by Mr. Earl Scruggs. This version is similar to Earl’s, but also adds a couple twists and turns to set it apart.

1 Like

WOW… To get measure 18 to sound clear is tough. My pinky mutes the first string. If I rotate my hand down for a more straight on attack I can get it clear but Boy its tough… lol

1 Like

Can you talk a little bit about the theory behind what you did in measure 15 (Eminor?). Is that what’s called dissonance?

Yes, it is. Technically you can call it true chromatic banjo as it uses the chromatic half steps. The note that folks want to hear is the E (2nd fret, 1st string). But I delay the gratification by climbing chromatically up from the open D note using the D# at 4th fret, 2nd string, then climb back down again.

1 Like

SEE @BanjoBen this is what a College Education in music does for ya. You become a Theory Nerd and use all these fancy words that confuse your lay music students like me.

Kyle Tuttle must have attended the same college as you because his explanations are even more confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VpmZWZ8Q0

:smile:

There are two terms you need to know to comprehend this explanation.
Chromatic: ascending or descending using half step intervals.
Half step intervals: intervals represented when you ascend or descend up an instrument neck and play every fret.

Well, maybe a third–gratification.
Gratification (n.)- The feeling I have when I eat good BBQ or pursue equivalent mentionable or non-mentionable activities.

1 Like

Food Glorious Food. Promise me you will get a diabetic blood test. Seriously.

1 Like

Hi

Measure 31 I was having the e note in the first string being heard. It was suggested to me by a great banjo player to change the brush direction.
Sounds better to me. What do you think ?

Ben has had me on a mission for the last few days to improve my backup banjo picking. It’s tedious and mind numbing work, so I took a break from it to learn this. You guys GOTTA try this. It’s super easy. I had the whole song playing up to speed in 90 minutes!

14 Likes

When playing backup to this song, I always feel like adding a C chord in the second half of measure 19 (Second measure of the chorus), but I’ve never seen anyone do it. Could you comment on the right or wrong of adding extra chords other than making it weird for others to play with me?

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with adding a C if you want to, and nothing wrong with playing it with others…as long as they know about it :wink: I wouldn’t do this in a typical jam situation as it would confuse folks, but if I was working up this song with my band I’d suggest it and see what it’s like for everyone to go to that C chord.

3 Likes

That jump from 160 bpm to 220 bpm in the mp3s is pretty high. Could’ve used a 180 or 200 version😳

1 Like

Check out the Amazing Slowdowner here: https://ronimusic.com/register.htm

1 Like