Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cripple Creek– Hammer-Ons

Most of this seems straightforward, but the timing for the hammered note and what immediately follows is confusing me a little. Do we hammer the note and hit open B simultaneously? Or should open B follow the hammer-on? I’ve slowed down the video but I’m still having a hard time telling.

1 Like

Yes. The Bb and B should happen at the same time.

1 Like

Yes, it also requires a lot of listening to get the timing just right.

Thanks

1 Like

After tackling cripple creek slides I went to this and thought l play it okay. But then I went and started the lessons of Banjo left hand technique and I can’t believe how much better it sounds after practicing correct timing on slides and hammer ons, po’s. I will start following these beginning lessons in order more now, they gave me a much better understanding of what it takes to sound like a bluegrass Banjo player

2 Likes

Go back to the hammer on lesson and that will answer your question

1 Like

Thanks, yeah! I put a lot of thought into the beginner banjo learning track order!

1 Like

I am just learning banjo. Played piano for years got theory down. But I have a hard time taping out beat, fretting and picking I end up not tapping my foot any tips to help with that or will it get better with practice. Thanks Kay

5 Likes

Hey Kay, welcome to the forum!
It always gets easier with practice and time, but to improve your sense of timing, I recommend practicing with a drum machine, metronome, or recording any time you can. These are sources of consistent, accurate time and lining yourself up with them is the most surefire way to improve your internal clock.

3 Likes

What @Michael_Mark said. Another thing I found with banjo is that some of it just sounds/feels weird until you get a little bit of speed on it. I find that once I am getting a song committed to memory I find it a little easier to play with the slow video sped up a bit as opposed to original speed. I don’t know how Ben plays evenly at those slow speeds. Mad skilz!

4 Likes

Hi @lusk932 Kay welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Great post and not uncommon for new banjo players.

If you’ve ever learned to drive using a stick shift or raised a bunch of kids then you already possess the skills to learn to play banjo. Being able to multitask is key to playing banjo.

Don’t fret (pun intended). Sound advice from @Michael_Mark & @Mike_R I would add, don’t panic or allow yourself to become frustrated. Take things sloooow. The first year or so is an uphill struggle if you aren’t blessed with natural talent as some folks are. Remember the three P’s be Patient with yourself, Persevere and Practice daily where possible. In short stick with it and I know you’ll get there.

Never compare your progress with that of other banjo players. Only compare your progress with yourself. Video your practice sessions and keep a log of what you’ve accomplished. You’ll be glad you did when you look back and see how far you have come. Follow Ben’s Beginner learning track, everything you need is right there in easy to follow lessons. You’ll also get personal help and support from Ben and folks here on the forum. So don’t be afraid to holler. Enjoy your banjo journeybanjo

2 Likes

Wise words @Archie!

Thanks for encouragement I’ll try something. I found cripple creek fairly easy to memorize and helped my multi tasking!

2 Likes