Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cold Frosty Morning

Ben, this is a great tune, one that I have heard but never learned. I have always liked the sound of the tunes that transition from minor to major, and this is a great example of that. Great job, thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Exactly Don. This is why I got hooked playing fiddle tunes. They are hauntingly beautiful.

2 Likes

Ben,
in your intro in the Target Notes piece where you refer to g minor tuning…the fact that you tuned the second string down a half to b minor now identifies this as “g minor tuning”? Thanks for all your lessons - Great Job!

4 Likes

That’s what I call it, yep. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been found out! That sign on my porch is a result of a late night Louisiana fishing tournament combined with my teenage tomfoolery.

3 Likes

@dsmit15 Robeline…My dad grew up just down the road in Marthaville. I spent a lot of time visiting grandparents and great uncle/aunts in that part of the state!

2 Likes

I’m guessing Toledo Bend was involved in that incident. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’d guess correctly!

2 Likes

Thanks Ben, I saw this pop-up on Youtube. I had let my membership expire, due to family life, but this tune grabbed me, I just renewed my Gold Pick membership. This looks like fun, sounds a bit Irish, but totally love it!!!

7 Likes

RE: Cold frosty Morning - 8 days…8 measures - it’s been a bit tough but the melody haunts me!

Question, as I proceed into Part B measure 6 - do I hammer on 2nd string / 4th fret and then play the open 1st string?

when I need a break I grab another banjo and play Cherokee Shuffle (need to cut loose a bit) - hope they don’t force a name change (LOL)

2 Likes

measure 32?

You should strike both stings at the same time, then hammer-on , letting the first string ring.

4 Likes

Thanks! @Fiddle_wood has the right answer!

1 Like

Jerusalem Ridge is another good one in Am. It would be great if you had this one, with target notes, also. Thanks!

3 Likes

JR would still be protected by copy write…

2 Likes

Dave,
thanks for your input. I think I got it…I am fretting 2nd string / 3rd fret when I strike BOTH first and second strings while hammering on the 2nd string and letting the 1st string ring.

appreciate your quick response - my banjo playing is 2 years in the making and Banjo Ben has been a great resource particularly during these unpleasant times.

Regards…Bill

3 Likes

Make sure to take advantage of the .tef tab files that I have for each lesson–they allow your computer to play the tab as I’ve written it so you can hear what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzS9NxVuNbg

4 Likes

It’s great to have the harmony parts on the last couple of songs. I, for one, would really like a lesson on constructing the harmony.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, it’s so fun! I have a few lessons that touch on it like this one: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/when-the-saints-go-marching-in-guitar-guitar-intermediate

I’ll make a note to do a lesson devoted to it.

3 Likes

Two day’s and I finally got this one ticked off my list. When I first looked at this lesson I wasn’t sure I would stick with it but it all came together much quicker than I thought. Following @BanjoBen 's advice I stopped focusing on the TAB and switched to learning this one by ear. All those long hours with Murphy Henry’s DVDs paved the way for this lesson. Don’t let the weird tuning put you off guy’s. I am off now to practice it with the TEF TableEdit File. two_banjos The Harmony part is going to have to wait till I grow another pair of arms!

1 Like

This tune has made an appearance at our last two local jams, so now I need to learn it. What do you know… there’s a lesson for it! Now I’m obsessed. If anybody needs me, I’ll be down by the woodshed.

4 Likes