Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cold Frosty Morning

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/cold-frosty-morning-banjo-advanced

Harmony banjo is illegal in 27 countries and 7 states, but not in Tennessee, so here you go. This historic fiddle tune lends itself to the eerie banjo twang and we’ll have a blast getting this one under our fingers!

7 Likes

What do y’all think about this one? There’s something super eerie and catchy at the same time that makes me have to listen again. It’s like a story is being told, I don’t know. It’s not the most advanced arrangement but it’s enough, if you ask me.

9 Likes

I love the minor tunes and this one has a lonesome whine to it that grabs my guts can’t wait till I get to the advanced skill level so I can play it!

3 Likes

There’s no foolin me @BanjoBen that b Salt Krick for shure only in a fancy pants key. I am still figern out where to strap my second banjer I tried fittin my picks on my toes but thays a mite too small.two_banjos

2 Likes

Don’t let that stop you. Give it a try! I classified it as advanced because of the minor tuning and the harmony but this song is attainable by many.

4 Likes

LOVE IT! Sounds like a song that might play during the opening credits of a John Wayne movie.

4 Likes

So how many of the advanced songs would be ok to try, is advanced not necessarily the skill needed to play them?

3 Likes

I say take a look at any of them and make the judgement for yourself. Also, many of them are build-a-breaks that are classified as advanced because the final solo is advanced, but the process of getting there is good for all skill levels to observe.

5 Likes

Anyone out there care to take a guess what lesson I’ll be tackling next! Thanks @BanjoBen I love minor tunes.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been waiting for this one.

2 Likes

I did that very thing this morning and am now learning black mountain rag in c, I know I squirreled on you.:laughing:

3 Likes

Doggon it! Every time I sit down to work on another tune you come out with something like this that causes me to back burner the others. I think its part of your evil scheme to keep me a permanent member.

8 Likes

This rendition of"Cold Frosty Morning" made my mouth water like I was looking at a perfectly barbequed side of pork ribs. This lesson is one more reason BB Clark is the Gold-Standard for learning. Can’t wait to dig in!

6 Likes

Ben, somehow I had never heard the song. With just the trigger melody notes and some rolls I’m playing the haunting tune. I’m sure this will become one of my back porch favorites. Thank, Mike

6 Likes

Ben, I noticed your La Hwy 6 road sign on your home and was wondering what’s the connection to Natchitoches area. My dad was from Robeline. I’m in Baton Rouge with a bluegrass group here. Great tune!

2 Likes

Ben, this is a great tune, one that I have heard but never learned. I have always liked the sound of the tunes that transition from minor to major, and this is a great example of that. Great job, thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Exactly Don. This is why I got hooked playing fiddle tunes. They are hauntingly beautiful.

2 Likes

Ben,
in your intro in the Target Notes piece where you refer to g minor tuning…the fact that you tuned the second string down a half to b minor now identifies this as “g minor tuning”? Thanks for all your lessons - Great Job!

4 Likes

That’s what I call it, yep. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been found out! That sign on my porch is a result of a late night Louisiana fishing tournament combined with my teenage tomfoolery.

3 Likes