Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Cold Frosty Morning

LOVE IT! Sounds like a song that might play during the opening credits of a John Wayne movie.

4 Likes

So how many of the advanced songs would be ok to try, is advanced not necessarily the skill needed to play them?

3 Likes

I say take a look at any of them and make the judgement for yourself. Also, many of them are build-a-breaks that are classified as advanced because the final solo is advanced, but the process of getting there is good for all skill levels to observe.

5 Likes

Anyone out there care to take a guess what lesson Iā€™ll be tackling next! Thanks @BanjoBen I love minor tunes.

5 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™ve been waiting for this one.

2 Likes

I did that very thing this morning and am now learning black mountain rag in c, I know I squirreled on you.:laughing:

3 Likes

Doggon it! Every time I sit down to work on another tune you come out with something like this that causes me to back burner the others. I think its part of your evil scheme to keep me a permanent member.

8 Likes

This rendition of"Cold Frosty Morning" made my mouth water like I was looking at a perfectly barbequed side of pork ribs. This lesson is one more reason BB Clark is the Gold-Standard for learning. Canā€™t wait to dig in!

6 Likes

Ben, somehow I had never heard the song. With just the trigger melody notes and some rolls Iā€™m playing the haunting tune. Iā€™m sure this will become one of my back porch favorites. Thank, Mike

6 Likes

Ben, I noticed your La Hwy 6 road sign on your home and was wondering whatā€™s the connection to Natchitoches area. My dad was from Robeline. Iā€™m in Baton Rouge with a bluegrass group here. Great tune!

2 Likes

Ben, this is a great tune, one that I have heard but never learned. I have always liked the sound of the tunes that transition from minor to major, and this is a great example of that. Great job, thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Exactly Don. This is why I got hooked playing fiddle tunes. They are hauntingly beautiful.

2 Likes

Ben,
in your intro in the Target Notes piece where you refer to g minor tuningā€¦the fact that you tuned the second string down a half to b minor now identifies this as ā€œg minor tuningā€? Thanks for all your lessons - Great Job!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what I call it, yep. Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been found out! That sign on my porch is a result of a late night Louisiana fishing tournament combined with my teenage tomfoolery.

3 Likes

@dsmit15 Robelineā€¦My dad grew up just down the road in Marthaville. I spent a lot of time visiting grandparents and great uncle/aunts in that part of the state!

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing Toledo Bend was involved in that incident. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Youā€™d guess correctly!

2 Likes

Thanks Ben, I saw this pop-up on Youtube. I had let my membership expire, due to family life, but this tune grabbed me, I just renewed my Gold Pick membership. This looks like fun, sounds a bit Irish, but totally love it!!!

7 Likes

RE: Cold frosty Morning - 8 daysā€¦8 measures - itā€™s been a bit tough but the melody haunts me!

Question, as I proceed into Part B measure 6 - do I hammer on 2nd string / 4th fret and then play the open 1st string?

when I need a break I grab another banjo and play Cherokee Shuffle (need to cut loose a bit) - hope they donā€™t force a name change (LOL)

2 Likes