Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Blackberry Blossom

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/blackberry-blossom-banjo

Don’t you love that time of year when the berries are ripe and Granny’s in the mood to whip up a cobbler? Get her in the bakin’ mood with this old fiddle tune!

1 Like

Is it possible to send you a ‘snip’ (a crop) of a section of a screen to help identify a specific area I have a question about? This would be sort of an attachment to an email?? I have not be successful is getting the PDF feature to work as I work through the Blackberry Blossom lesson.

Thank you, John Acocks, Shelton, WA

2 Likes

Hi John

Welcome back to @BanjoBen 's Forum. It seems there is a glitch that causes a problem with downloads when the lesson has been open in your browser for a short while. Try refreshing your browser and click to download the PDF TAB. I am sure Ben will get back to you ASAP

2 Likes

I got your email, @johnacocks, and I’ll reply soon. Thanks!

3 Likes

I am learning blackberry blossom on banjo intermediate. I have learned it well at 180 bpm with the metronome. Do the backup mp3 tracks play the song twice. Having a tough time following along with the backup mp3.

2 Likes

There’s a 2 bar intro (potatoes), then it goes through the entire song 3 times, then a 4 bar ending. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have a question. Something that has been bugging me for years. On the second bar of the A part of this song, why is the 7th note an A# rather than an A?
It is tabbed out as third fret on the third string, and when played slowly it just sounds very wrong to me, I think it should be 2nd fret on the third string? Thanks, Kate

3 Likes

I believe that is to slur the note when played up tempo.

1 Like

The A note would be great! I just chose the Bflat (A#) to give it more of a bluesy sound, but it’s the player’s prerogative.

5 Likes

Is there a way to slow down the tracks? Blackberry @ 150 is WAY too fast for me!

Yep, there are lots of programs that you can download to slow them down, but don’t forget about the .tef tab files!

1 Like

Hi Philip, Audacity is Free Software, and useful for slowing down MP3 files. If I recall correctly the best way to do this is by changing the Tempo and adjusting the Pitch - See Effect drop down Menu. I don’t use mp3s I prefer TablEdit so maybe give a shout out to @Mark_Rocka who I feel sure can offer more advice on how to slow mp3s using Audacity

Another tool is Amazing Slowdowner - I have never used it so maybe others can chime in here

2 Likes

I use Amazing Slow downer a lot. Works great. User friendly, simple and no pitch problems to mess with.

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head, Archie.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mark_Rocka I wasn’t 100% sure. Good to have your expert knowledge to fall back on

Yes! The TEF player is perfect for practicing and playing along. Thanks!

I agree with the 7th note issue. I felt it sounded odd so I’ve just started playing it open. Personal preference I guess!

1 Like