Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Black Mountain Rag in C

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/black-mountain-rag-in-c-banjo

Let’s do this great ol’ tune in C and make the position do some work for us! We’re gonna have to be a bit inventive to get the notes we want, and it’s a lot of fun figuring it out!

8 Likes

Great lesson! Know this one inG, always wanted to learn how to play it in C, and switch up halfway through…to be continued…

3 Likes

This lesson follows the guitar version in good way. I think the F chord licks at measures 25 & 26 will adapt to fit in many other songs. Also, the double stops are reinforcing Alan Munde’s chord studies and vice-versa. Perfect timing @BanjoBen!

2 Likes

Just diving into this, been working on the weird C roll for a couple weeks, I finally got past the memory block of not doing a standard roll. Also working on the Guitar and Mando solos, should be ready in a month or so.

3 Likes

So I keep having a train wreck as I move into the B Part. Measure 14 - 15. Don’t get me wrong I can play both sides of this no problem. Just my head wont let me make the connection. Arrh! Now that I have said it out loud maybe I can do it. I have been working on this for a week now and I am starting to get frustrated. BangHead Sharp intake of breath facepalm_1

2 Likes

Ease that breathing brother…iiiin, ouut, ahhh :wink:

If it makes you feel any better I’ve got licks I’ve beenworking on daily for over six months…sometimes they come so slowly…then Bing! “how was that so difficult for me?” haha…all part of the game.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave. just letting off steam. I love this tune and it should really flow because the lick in front of the B part is repeated throughout the tune.

It’s a thought process really, shifting from the fretted 2nd string at the 1st fret with the Index to fretting the 2nd string at the 3rd fret with the middle finger followed by a slide.

It’s not difficult it’s just that my brain keeps jumping to the C Part. So annoying. I know from past experience it will come to me in time. I am just being impatient with this one.

1 Like

I can relate…happens to us all.

2 Likes

Yippeefixed FINALLY

2 Likes