Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Bill Cheatham- Scruggs Style

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/bill-cheatham-scruggs-style-banjo

I’ve have an advanced Alan Munde melodic version, but it’s good to present this tune in a Scruggs-style as well! The trick is to choose which melody notes are the important ones and to make our ornaments pronounced.

I have played along with this song , slow version at 2x the speed well over 100 times and I cannot memorize this song at all for the life of me. I have listened to it on spotify, youtube, and tried to play it but I still cannot memorize. I have broken it down piece by piece but still struggle. How do you go about or approach memorization of songs. Any tips or tricks that work???

2 Likes

I learned Murphy Henry’s beginners version of this tune and struggled to play the melody through. I had the same problem with @BanjoBen 's version. I know this tune really well and have known it since I was a child but I still struggle to play it through. I guess some tunes come easier than others.

2 Likes

Sounds like you are doing the right things. I haven’t learned this song on banjo but I think this song has an almost randomness to the melody, so I could see where it would be tough to memorize. One thing you mentioned that has been very helpful for me is using the “slow” video. If you are at 2x, maybe drop back to 1.5x. Just play along with the video, and transition to ignoring the tab as much as you can. Usually slowing down a bit helpss me to get the memorization down.

1 Like

After playing it probably 1000 times. JK well maybe. I finally got it down pretty good. Good enough I can play along with the preview without looking. Going to keep practicing it and try it at the next jam is my goal next month. This song just took me for ever to learn it seemed. Thankyou all!

6 Likes

Same. It’s taking me forever to memorize. I can play while looking just fine. When I go off book I just have random brain farts. Love this song though, sounds so cool! I’ll get there!!

2 Likes