Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Bill Cheatham- Munde Version

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/bill-cheatham-munde-version-banjo-advanced

I taught this song WAY back before I had 2 cameras & tab. Folks have begged me for years to remake it, so here it is! Alan Munde’s version of this fiddle tune is iconic–simple, streamlined, with all the notes it needs.

10 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Wow ! Happy New year Ben and All,
I just watched Ben’s’ year end review, and goal setting for us learners. I see great value in goal setting and being a bit more scientific about it. Since I am in the category of no one around wants to play bluegrass that I can find. My goal is to play along with tracks and record myself. My hope is that this will prepare me better for the times when I have opportunity to play with others of which I greatly enjoy.
Thanks also for the Munde version of Bill Cheatham. It will be perfect to add to the Scruggs/ Ben style that I already have learned and love.
Also you have convinced me to consider another Banjo Camp ! Hope to see you again this year.

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Love this version! I can’t wait to learn it.
It’s on THE list.
Thank you BanjoBen! (and Alan Munde)

1 Like

I got this tab from Alan Munde a while back at Swannanoa or Suwanee Banjo Camp. It has a second melodic break which is very interesting. He and Bill Evans are conducting a workshop at Randy Wood’s place in a couple weeks. I may have to go down there just to get some help on it!

1 Like

Can you send that to me?

Done. The section labeled B2 is particularly interesting. Both versions rely on what I call an “inside roll”. That’s where you play 4 3 2 in succession with thumb, index, middle. Both breaks begin with this roll. The B2 section looks like a reverse of that…tricky!

2 Likes

I have to admit, this one is taking me way longer to get up to speed than I thought it would. One thing I thought was interesting is that playing with the TEF fille was causing me a lot of trouble until I switched it over to jazz 8th to get some more swing in the melody notes. It was like something clicked after I did that.

Hope to be posting a video soon.

2 Likes

Still to explore this lesson @Mark_Rocka. I learned Murphy Method version way back but got bored with it after a while and haven’t played it in years. So it will be interesting to tackle Alan’s version.

Jazz & Swing 8th in TablEdit. I found that feature years ago and must confess to Tweaking some of @BanjoBen 's and others TABs over the years. Adds a little bounce / syncopation to the phrasing.

2 Likes

Yup. For some reason, that’s what my ears needed to make the notes stick. Now it’s just a matter of getting it up to speed. I’m finding (as I’ve found with other melodic lessons) that my fingers “seem surprised” at where they’re finding the notes. It’s like they saying “No, dude. That note is 3rd string second fret, not way up here on the 4th string.” :laughing:

3 Likes

I like how this sounds, I play it on guitar so I might try this as my second advanced project. I almost have turkey in the straw ready to show on that comment section in the forum. Im trying to memorize Turkey in the Straw and speed it up a little now.

1 Like

Finally! Man, my brain made this way harder than it feels like it should have been. I hope that means I developed some new skills finally getting this one down.

5 Likes

fixed You nail it @Mark_Rocka

3 Likes

Yeah!! Nice picking there @Mark_Rocka , you got it!! Sounds great! And, my brain does that sometimes as well, lol!

1 Like

That sums up my experience on the banjo for at least the first 6 months for every note I played. :grinning:

1 Like

@BanjoBen So I started working on this lesson three days ago and to my surprise much of it seemed so familiar.

Today I downloaded the TAB TEF file and I was amazed to find Ban-BillCheathum-Munde.tef already existed on my hard drive. A quick check, yes there it was downloaded 7th June 2019, Only a slight difference it has an intro. Puzzled student, not like you to make a duplicate lesson

I also have a Scruggs version downloaded back in 2018.

Ben taught this arrangement years ago and this is an updated version with much better production quality :wink:

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/bill-cheatham-melodic-banjo

Yes I know, I remember learning it @Michael_Mark

1 Like