Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Bill Cheatham- Melodic

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/bill-cheatham-melodic-banjo

I had the distinct pleasure to spend 2 years apprenticing under the banjo great, Alan Munde. His melodic version of Bill Cheatham was always my favorite, and I’m offering it here as a tribute to him. He is widely regarded as a banjo great, but I also regard him as an incredible person and teacher as well.

Are you wearing Katy’s strap? Was this back in your starving artist days? :laughing:

1 Like

In the list of songs for the past year’s camps, I started out behind the power curve, so to speak. I looked at Bill Chetham, liked the melodic version, but thought it was over my head. I took another look at it recently, with Alan’s name being tossed around. Anyway, thought I would give it a shot. Love the song! Still got things to work out, but it sure was fun to give it at try.

8 Likes

Man that was nice! I forgot all about the melodic version. I’m gonna have to give that a try. That banjo sure sounds purdy, too!

2 Likes

You’ve got it going on, my friend!

1 Like

bravo @Wayne_H I tried to learn this version a few years back and gave up. Maybe I’ll look at it again in 2021

1 Like

@Wayne_H
That was a great job on Bill Cheatham!
I came back and listened to it again! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I was wondering since I am just starting up again to try to learn banjo should I first learn to play the basic three finger Scruggs style before trying to learn melodic style banjo or does it make a difference? Thanks for any info. I was wondering because I do not see or may have missed seeing any beginner melodic tunes on the site. Just need a little direction. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Hi @fscott729 Frank welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum.

There are many similarities between Scruggs Style and Melodic the main difference as far as I can tell is Scruggs is based around signature licks where as Melodic is based around scale notes. Both employ three finger roll patterns, single string and pinches. Scruggs style has more slides, hammer-ons pull offs and string bends although you will find these embellishments in some Melodic arrangements. Melodic as the name suggests tends to follow the melody where as Scruggs with its Signature Licks and Embellishments simply hints at the melody.

This arrangement of Bill Cheatham is a Melodic arrangement by Alan Mundie you will see it’s in the advanced section.

I take note that you are starting up again which suggests you have some knowledge. I would encourage you to work through Ben’s beginner section before moving on to the intermediate/advance sections. There is so much information in the beginner section that will help you later on and there is no harm in learning Scruggs and Melodic at the same time.

2 Likes