Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Beaumont Rag

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/beaumont-rag-banjo

Tired of pickin’ in G? Good…me too, so this week we’re gonna learn Beaumont Rag in the key of C using some Scruggs-style licks. I really like the B part, where we’ll really employ those inside rolls to make folks’ ears tingle!

Ben, I have been playing Beaumont Rag for a long time. I am also playing Country Roads. I am taking measure 20 and 21 from Beaumont Rag and finishing the chorus of country roads (last C measure “Take me home Country roads”) with those measures fretting the last G at two. Sound pretty good - to me but I don"t know… Does that work for anyone else?

1 Like

Can you post a video Ron. I recorded Beaumont Rag a few years back but the timing was awful keep meaning to go back and rework it.

No camera on my computer. No microphone either. Not that tech savvy

I think that would sound wonderful!

Ron - “No camera. No mic.”

Ben - “I think that would sound wonderful!”

LOL!!! Silence is golden. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Don’t you just love this website. No sound or vision :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I could visualize it.

2 Likes

Amazing !

I was prepared for most everything this had to throw at me, skill-wise but the picking pattern in measure 17 should be illegal. Sounds good, but I only nail it 2 of every 10 tries. Don’t ever remember seeing it before.
Oh well, forming new nural pathways I guess.

1 Like

I PLAY THROUGH WITH BANJOBEN TRACK. I AM NOT PERFECTLY. PLAYING IT BUT I GET THROUGH IT. I BRING IT TO OUR LOW SKILL GROUP AND THEY CANNOT OR WILL NOT EVEN TRY TO DO BACKUP. MAYBE I SHOULD BRING MY HUNTER CAM PLAYER AND PLAY BB BACKUP ON PA ?2019-04-19T05:00:00Z

1 Like

Hey Sylvan! Welcome to the board!

I don’t know about bringing backing tracks to a jam. I guess it just depends on the group and how well you know them. If you don’t know them well, I would ask a few of them before busting out “canned” music. I know a few people that would frown on that.

Then again, if it’s a group of total beginners, they may decide it’s be a good exercise. Just feel them out before hand and you’ll be fine.

Welcome to BanjoBen and to the forum Sylvan. I second what @Mark_Rocka said and also invite you to use the jam tracks found on the BanjoBen site and use the this forum as there are many supportive and helpful people here. You can use video swap also to upload videos of you playing and get help and advice back.

Hope to see more of you here on the forum :slight_smile:

This song came up at camp and I wasn’t ready to tackle it. For playing in C, it’s a surprisingly easy song to get down. This one is a LOT of fun! It says advanced, but I’d say it’s on the easy side of advanced.

4 Likes

So easy I thought it was in G and just happens to start on the C. Hahaha!

1 Like

jpg @Mark_Rocka

I remember working on that lesson years ago. It’s a real fun arrangement. I haven’t played it in a long, long while I guess I’ll be revisiting it again soon. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

@Mark_Rocka sounding great! I need to learn that one. Looks like it’s a fun one!

1 Like