Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Single Measure Backup

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-single-measure-backup-banjo

Singularly the best single lesson on single measure backup in the whole universe.

1 Like

Great lesson but I’m getting an error on the PDF and TIF files. Anyone else having problems?

Hi Tom

Both working fine for me. Try opening the file’s then save them to your HD. You will need TablEdit/TefView installed on your device to open the .tef file and Adobe Reader installed to open the PDF file

I find that happens for me when I’ve left a page on the site open for a long time (hours) before clicking on a download link. It usually resolves itself if I refresh the page.

1 Like

Yep, that worked. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Thank you Ben for this lesson.
This is exactly what I needed.
I mostly play guitar and have no trouble Travis picking, but I found that I was getting very confused with my banjo rolls, as I’d always trying to count my thumb to the down beat…
I knew this was very wrong for the banjo and hoped that I’d just pick up a feel for it as I changed chords.
The constantly rolling notes, to my untutored ear were baffling.
I could generated some speed but always struggled to have the confidence to know when and where to move smoothly for a chord change.
This exercise will be great for me as I will be able to just focus on a simple progression,whilst learning to vary my rolls in a predictable and tasteful way.
So thank you once again, I will work on this and try hard to find my groove!

2 Likes

I am in the same situation as you and I am diligently practicing this lesson with a metronome slowly speeding it and I am getting the chord changes and timing better every day. This is just what I needed

2 Likes

I finally found a banjo study that I can follow along with by ear, sight, and tab. So thankful I started taking these lessons and signed up as gold pick. The banjo square roll studies that banjo ben showed are coming to light for real. And even though I thought I was an advanced player, Going back through all these videos opened my eyes. Especially this back up study. Thankyou!

3 Likes

@smaxon8421 welcome to the forum!

Wonderful! Thanks so much for your support of the site @smaxon8421!