Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Setup with Steve Huber- Trussrod Adjustment

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-setup-with-steve-huber-trussrod-adjustment-banjo

Learn to adjust them banjo trussrods mighty fine.

1 Like

Thanks to Steve & this video, I worked up enough courage to adjust the truss rod in my banjo in an attempt to get rid of a buzz.
It would have been helpful if Steve had told me first the truss rod was hidden under a nameplate on the head. I got suspicious when I saw three little screws, so I removed them & behold! There was my truss rod!
After watching the video a couple times, I made my adjustments & the buzz went away.
The lesson I learned is “Don’t be afraid of your banjo.” Have confidence that if you take it apart, you can put it back together again.
(This is not like DIY plumbing around the house. That never works right!)

5 Likes

I have a beginner-level banjo, which has a very flat neck, but doesn’t have a truss rod. I had an annoying buzz on my fourth string whenever I fretted it. I adjusted the (turnbuckle-style) coordinator rod pretty dramatically and got rid of my buzz, but, of course, that makes the action very high. Is there anything else I can do short of buying a better instrument?

2 Likes

I’m afraid not because there’s only so much adjustment you can do. You could do a neck reset but it’s not worth it.

3 Likes

So what I’m hearing is that I should tell my wife that Banjo Ben says I need to buy a new, nicer instrument. If we have to spend the anniversary trip money,… we do what we have to do…

4 Likes

PRECISELY! Hahaha

2 Likes

I like the way you think. :smirk:

2 Likes

ok, what was the song that started playing at the end of this lesson?

1 Like

Cherokee Shuffle, from the Huber “Team Flathead” project.

3 Likes

o i see. Thanks

Wow! I’ve had a buzz on my 3rd string that’s been bugging me. (Because buzzing is what bugs do, right?). Anyway, it took longer to dig my tools out than it did to adjust the truss rod. That bug done been kilt! Buzz gone!!! Thanks Ben & Steve!

2 Likes

Hi. If I turn rod one way it moves easily but when I bring it back to neutral and try and turn the way I want it is really stiff. I would need real effort to move it. Should I? Worried I will damage it

Hey @asgbance01! Give us a call at the shop and we’ll help you out! 833-226-5623

Steve Huber’s series on banjo setup is priceless! I’ve adjusted for the first time both the head tension and trussrod on my banjo and the sound and playability have both improved dramatically! Most importantly, I’ve become comfortable with the instrument and am no longer afraid to tackle these adjustments! Great series, especially for beginners![quote=“BanjoBen, post:1, topic:3040, full:true”]
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-setup-with-steve-huber-trussrod-adjustment-banjo

Learn to adjust them banjo trussrods mighty fine.
[/quote]

1 Like