Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Setup with Steve Huber- Tailpiece Adjustment

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-setup-with-steve-huber-tailpiece-adjustment-banjo

null

Ok, not sure if I’m doing this correctly but here goes… New Gold Member, really interested in the Banjo Set-up videos. Watched this one about the tailpiece and I would like to know what the screw on the back of the Presto type tailpiece is for. Where or when do you use it. Thanks for the great information.

Hey @cgordon491! I haven’t watched this one in a while, but I believe Steve explains that the screw is to raise and lower the height of the tailpiece.

He said he uses the Nut to adjust the height, but then he never said anything about the screw on the back. I did adjust mine tonight because the tailpiece was resting on the ring. So it actually sounds better now.

I used this Video to adjust the tailpiece on my Flatiron Sweetgrass Banjo and it instantly transformed the sound to Gibson Mastertone quality. Wow! My mistake was thinking the tailpiece needed to be adjusted down to nearly touching the drumhead. The 3/8" clearance, relaxing the bridge tension on the drum made all the difference in the world. THANKS!!

Hi … I adjusted according to this video with good results, especially on not choking the bridge to death - BUT… one question I have is that looking elsewhere on the web, makers are talking about how great it is that their tailpiece makes flush contact with the tone ring… whereas my understanding from here is it should NOT make flush contact - or am I misunderstanding and conflating two different things? Thanks and good wishes to all.

I am always dubious about the advice handed out on the BHO. Having the tailpiece flush with the head is bad IMHO. Steve Huber is a professional, he not only repairs banjos he builds them. His banjo’s are so good he even includes his name to the peghead. You should follow his advice.

Makes good sense to me! Thanks for the reply.

I have another vid coming out soon where Jake breaks down the tailpiece setup further!