Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Setup with Steve Huber- Head Tension

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-setup-with-steve-huber-head-tension-banjo

Learn to get that head tension JUST right…not too tight, and not too loose.

Did you ever find out if there is a tuner that will tune the head?

It’s tough, but check this out: https://store.banjobenclark.com/blogs/banjo-bens-blog/banjo-drum-dial

One of the hardest things in the world to describe with words is a particular sound. I spent my adult life working in radio & the “right sound” was very important. I love that Steve said “Some people will never hear it.” But for a beginner banjo player it seems mostly all banjos sound the same. It takes a while before you start realizing something sounds “just a little bit not right.”
How much of the “right sound” is a matter of personal preference, and how can I tell when my personal preference is too far out of step with reality?

2 Likes

So I’m one of those people who always has to tinker instead of just playing. The head tuning thing was a challenge I couldn’t refuse. I am one of the lucky ones who can hear the tone when scratching across the head, but that wasn’t good enough for me - there had to be a better way. An easier way. I watched everything on YouTube, and read every blog. I can tune my guitar and mandolin from my cell phone to an accuracy that didn’t exist a few years ago - had to be a way to apply this to banjo head.
Cutting to the chase: there are online websites that have tuners using the mic attached to computer. I tested them with acoustic guitar - they are extremely accurate. So - using any cheap computer mic, drag or scratch it lightly across the banjo head (with strings muted, of course) and it will register the predominant note. Adjust head and repeat. So easy, and no guessing. The site I used was theonlinemetronome.com. Hope this helps everyone.

2 Likes

On the banjo head, should I see a depression where the bridge is?

Morris

1 Like

There is a slight depression on all my banjos at the bridge. Get an experience banjo player/luthier to check it for you.

1 Like

Thanks Archie.

1 Like