Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Setup with Steve Huber- Coordinator Rod Adjustment

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-setup-with-steve-huber-coordinator-rod-adjustment-banjo

Learn to coordinate your coordinator rods!

What if you have a less expensive model that has a single rod that has an adjuster in the middle?

Howdy @jlpayne722! Here’s what @Jake said in response!
It really depends on the type of coordinator rod. Generally speaking, a good two rod setup is much more stable. Some of the single rod systems are good too though, but if it’s a turnbuckle style rod they’re not nearly as good. Some guys go so far as to say that two rods even sound better.

Good to know, When I get better and plan on upgrading my banjo, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks.

1 Like

The explanation of what the “top” coordinator rod was covered very well. I didn’t really get a good understanding of the purpose for the “ bottom” rod and when it might need to be adjusted?
Thanks.

There is another video:
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-setup-with-steve-huber-trussrod-adjustment-banjo?from_track=beginner-banjo

Edit: I went back and looked at the video and I think I mis-understood the question a bit. The other coordinator rod is basically holding the neck on. The one Steve shows the adjustment with is the only one you need to adjust to set the neck angle.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Mike.
I guess I am a little confused then. On the old Style 1 or Style 11 models there was only one rod. The “top” one that Steve uses to adjust the action in the video. The neck was attached with a bolt that came through the rim and only had a nut holding it tight on the inside of the rim on the neck side of the rim. I guess I don’t fully understand why the rod going all the way to the other side of the rim is advantageous if it’s sole purpose is to hold the neck on.

1 Like

I don’t “know” this, but I suspect the full length secondary rod serves to maintain the rim shape somewhat. The coordinator rod flexes the rim to adjust neck angle. I am guessing that a fixed rod would prevent the flexing from affecting the rim shape negatively.

2 Likes

Thank you for your insight Mike! I appreciate the help.
Dale

2 Likes

Excellent series. I watched every one of them. Every 5 years or so I really have to dive in and can never remember all these things after so many years. Great website and this series with Steve really adds value.

2 Likes

I watched Rual Yarbrough and other old timers Change the neck angle by shimming the neck at the heel with pieces of maple or credit cards. The thinking was to avoid putting pressure on the rim and end up getting it out of rounds with the tone ring.

1 Like