Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Pick-a-Lick: Foggy Mountain Lick

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-pick-a-lick-foggy-mountain-lick-banjo-advanced

Don’t forget to grab the “Fireball Mail” tab below! Every lick has variations that sound almost completely different…that’s what my Pick-a-Lick series is all about! Let’s take the famous Foggy Mountain lick and see what all we can discover!

5 Likes

Dude! This sounds like it’s going to be an awesome series! My only problem is that I had my road map of what I wanted to get under my belt before the camp and now that’s all shot to heck. :stuck_out_tongue: This lesson is definitely going to bump something off the list.

Can’t wait to get to it! Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @BanjoBen, is that my Stelling Staghorn you’re playing? :grinning:

2 Likes

It sure CAN be! This thing is so beautiful. I love the 4K cameras :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

What? It has built in cameras too? Dang, what else can it do?

1 Like

If you have an iPhone, you can pair it with an app that will tell you if it’s out of tune, and will tell you where to put your fingers for any chord (via lights embedded in thr fret board) it also has a nail file built into the binding, and a .45 rifle hidden in the neck, in case you need one to save the world. Now you know why it costs so much :wink:

5 Likes

As always a great lesson @BanjoBen

Although I was hoping you would start off the New Year by completing the much requested Waypoints Series in the Key of D.

Will do that one next, just for you! (Lord willing, of course :smile:)

3 Likes

Not just for me but for everyone. I :pray: God Bless

1 Like

I’m already doing waypoints in D, i think. I just took the C waypoints and moved everything up 2 frets. Is that correct Ben?

2 Likes

Yes, that is the essential thinking and you should be good to go! It is helpful to many to see it actually tabbed out but I bet you have a handle on it.

2 Likes

I agree, I firmly believe a full lesson, a visualisation of the fingering, hearing the sound in relation to the chord positions and having the TABs as a reference all help to hammer home the message. Knowing that moving everything up two frets is helpful for some folks but not nearly as helpful as working through a lesson and understanding how, what and why things work as they do.

1 Like

Ben, Check tab measure 19. Double T?

I got it fixed, thanks!

1 Like

Great lesson @BanjoBen I hope you do more of these for other licks but I think I could do a few on my own. One question… you typically call this a D lick but it also serves as a G lick…correct? Foggy Mountain starts on a G chord.
@Archie, I’m right in the middle of C waypoints trying to master the licks but it seems that the g licks were a little easier for me I think just because the c licks happen a little further up the neck. Hopefully we all figure out how to use these on the fly in an actual song.

2 Likes

Yes! This lick is equally used on both G or D, and can work other times as well!

1 Like

Am I seeing things or do you have two consecutive thumbs back to back? Is that right? I believe it’s at measure 19. It’s still there as of 3/17/19. I see now that there has been a discussion about it. Just making sure I understand. It’s still there.

It’s still there.

The PDF and TEF downloads do not appear to be working.

Worked fine for me what device are you using to access the files?

1 Like