Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Loop-a-Lick with Matthew Davis

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-loop-a-lick-with-matthew-davis-banjo-intermediate

Matthew Davis is a banjo phenom and one of the best improvisers on the scene, and he shows us a looping technique he uses to aid in his soloing! No matter your skill level, you can benefit from this!

5 Likes

Wow, this is an interesting lesson @BanjoBen, Looking forward to trying out these ideas over the weekend

1 Like

Well that went right over my head! Lol. And if he likes imperfection, he should listen to my playing​:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Nice lesson!

1 Like

Incredible. I’ve been botching rolls, shortening, lengthening, and forgetting them for a long time, but they never come out like that. Really great ideas. Does Ben get the best guests or what?

1 Like

Great lesson! This idea is used on fiddle quite often.

1 Like

Hi @BanjoBen Is that a typo in measure six of the tef file ? I thought the point of the exercise was to repeat the lick.

On a footnote. When I was just starting to learn to play banjo I recall being told if you make a mistake just repeat it and the listener will never know the difference. Seems Mathew heard that same advice and has built a new style of playing around that advice.

1 Like

Matthew wrote out that tab, I proofread it but missed that. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter in this instance–you can do either one.

2 Likes

Just keep practicing and listening. play it again. don" let something you don’t fully understand make you stop. eventually some other lesson will start to sound more familiar.

1 Like

Hi Chuck

Just take your time and work your way through the lesson measure by measure and you will find things start to click into position

2 Likes

Mr. Matthew Davis,

You are an AMAZING player… and you are going to an AMAZING SCHOOL! You also play JAZZ - that is so cool. My brother is a JAZZ Professor at Western Illinois University - and perhaps would like to have you visit his campus to do a clinic or play with his band perhaps.

I live about 45 minutes north… in Commerce Township. I’m a gold member and a novice who enjoys playing Banjo and Mandolin.

I’d like to be in contact with you and possibly come down to Ann Arbor to meet you or see you play.

Please take my email: mdgri3@gmail.com and contact me. If you wish, you can tall me: (248) 606-2931

On behalf of us students, thank you for the lesson with Ben! INSPIRATIONAL!

William Cooper

A great lesson - helped me think of things in a different way. I tend to get a bit confused when I’m playing multiple measures of the same notes back to back - for example 2 bars of Bb in Aint Gonna Work Tomorrow. Sometimes I move on too late or too early, does that make sense? I’m wondering if it might help to “think” of these as groups of cut up triplets. It’s a good point Matthew made about it all being in your mind - your fingers have done it all before.

3 Likes

Awesome…just AWESOME!

2 Likes

Hi Elizabeth Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum.

Hi Rowan Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

Totally fun!!! To those of you who think you “can’t”…I’m here to tell ya ya can!

2 Likes

Another GRRRREEEAAATTT lesson to put into practice immediately !

1 Like

This is definitely a jazz-centric idea! How fun is this…it helps make the musical world just a little bit smaller and puts a handle on one more tiny bit of it. I love the picture of the egg rolling down the hill…but I’m still dizzy!
Thanks for the wonderful lesson.

2 Likes

Great lesson! There’s lots to explore here, and lots of licks to dissect and apply this lesson to. Thanks again!

1 Like

Great, great, great, did I already say that, great

3 Likes