Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Ideal Practice Session

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-ideal-practice-session-banjo-beginner

This is the ideal practice session as it applies to banjo. Don’t worry, you’ll never actually do it…not perfectly. That’s ok, because the point of this is to offer a direction and plan, then you let the banjo do the rest!

6 Likes

Once again another awesome lesson! Great job @BanjoBen!

3 Likes

This series is definitely holding my attention, thanks!

1 Like

Hi

What I do is put the “troublesome lick or timing measure” into tef. I can then hear it correctly for playing.

Helps me

1 Like

In the past, I really get frustrated because some of the licks Or techniques aren’t mastered in a short period of time. -((type A-let’s get it done NOW!)! I should have it by now !
This is really a great way to put on the breaks, focus
Slowly learn and get it right.
Good job!

3 Likes

Excellent lessons. Thank you

2 Likes

Another brilliant lesson, thanks. Especially the audit part. It really has focused my practice sessions.
This course has come at exactly the right time for me - I’m working my way through Hop, Skip & Jump in the Fret Hand Techniques part of the beginner learning track.
I found it useful to look at the songs and techniques I’ve learned and decide, for each, into which section of the lesson plan I’d put them. It’s then much easier to focus on what I need to do.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks so much Ben, I have been playing probably for nearly eighteen years and have just been unfocused and disorganised with picking up the banjo, it has spent far too long in the cupboard as well.
This series is so helpful. I have made some goals and am trying to be more strategic with my practice sessions, this is really helping me to know how to do this and what areas to focus, unfortunately there are more than I care to admit . I am more focused than ever.
Thanks so much.

1 Like

This is helpful because it helped me realize for the firs time that I CAN PLAY ANYTHING (with enough systematic attention applied). That’s a great feeling because virtually all limits have been wiped out. Now it’s time to call upon the self discipline to quit spinning wheels with the easy stuff and get serious. Limiting beliefs of yesterday? GONE!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Ben-this is one of your best lessons and I have been playing for years. I feel like I’m making more progress in my practice sessions.

1 Like

Great lesson Ben. As a former, now retired educator, your approach ties in beautifully with something I’ve always had to do to ensure successful learning … Have A Plan + all the applicable addendums you mentioned.
Worked for me for many years. Thanks again .

Alright, I am glad you touched on this, I have been working on a few advanced lessons and when I run into a problem I practice that measure over and over then add in the measure directly before it, at least the last beat or two. It made total sense to me when I was doing it and you just showed me Im on the right track. I like the warming up part, I tend to jump into a song first off. I will now warm up more with rolls, not dinner rolls either.

1 Like

I like this approach. I have often struggled to set goals and approach them until I started taking lessons. It really applies to every aspect of your life when you start thinking about it whether it be work or parenting or just developing spiritually and as a person.

The only other website out there that comes close to banjobenclark.com content that really helped in my music is a drummer Stephen Taylor at https://www.stephensdrumshed.com/

He has a course called the essence of practice that he travels with and even gives corporate talks that he uses to apply to all aspects of life.

2 Likes