Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Harmonics with Charlie's Chimes

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-harmonics-with-charlies-chimes-banjo

Playing harmonics is just FUN! And they sound COOL! I wrote this song to teach you how to use them, too!

3 Likes

Wow, that is a nice song that you WROTE! Great job!

I look forward to jumping into this, but I will probably stay focused on Christmas music for the duration of the year. :christmas_tree:

I do have a question based on your demo: I am still working through the beginner track. I am playing 2nd to 3rd fret hammer-ons and pull-offs mostly using 2nd/3rd finger in hopes that that finger combo will become as strong as my 1st/2nd finger combo. Middle/ring finger is still not as snappy as the 1st/middle combination. After a long time, there is still a gap. In watching the demo, you typically play such hammer-ons and pull-offs with the first and second finger. I am thinking of going to that when I can. Is there strong reason to keep working the second/third fingers once they get comfortable doing it?

2 Likes

Hi @Mike_R looking back at my own banjo journey, I recall spending long hours, days, weeks and winter months working on hammer-ons, slides and pull-offs. It took a long time to get the timing and the sound right. By the time I ‘got it’ I was doing it on autopilot. I hope that goes some way to address your query.

I should add that I don’t do @BanjoBen 's hammer-on using the middle & ring finger. As I seem to recall this is something unique to Ben. I am sure he will say more on this when he comes to address your query.

2 Likes

Charlies Chimes is delightful and has a great ring to it.

Banjos on sale at the General Store come custom fitted with harmonics that’s a great sales pitch @BanjoBen

2 Likes

As a Beginner, I love monkeying around with chimes! It does take a bit of practice to get the right “touch,” but it will come.
Besides the things Ben mentions about getting a good chime, here’s one thing that fooled me: bridge placement. 12th fret chimes are pretty easy, but if you just can’t seem to get the hang of the 5th & 7th, they just never ring true, check your bridge placement. A little out of place makes a big difference with chimes.

As a Beginner, (and the best banjo player on my street!), that’s my expert opinion. :+1:

3 Likes

Great little tune Ben!

1 Like

The harmonics at the 5th and 7th are the hardest to play cleanly. You are also correct when it comes to bridge placement which is why banjo setup is so important.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, most pros do 2-3 hammers/slides with the index and middle. I would think that this is because, even once you train/strengthen your ring finger, your index/middle will still be a stronger combination (this is especially noticeable once you start bending the third string when you do ornaments on it). That being said, it’s not a bad idea to practice ornaments with the middle/ring combination, since it will help strengthen that finger, but I would personally recommend using the 1-2 combination in the long run.

2 Likes