Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Forward Roll Study

Welcome aboard Danny! You’ll Love the gang here, some great folks and musicians and a couple hacks like me just learning! lol

Great name, by the way. I had a good friend and shipmate in the Navy named Triplett… Andy Triplett. He was killed on the USS Cole, may he Rest in Peace.

6 Likes

Hi Danny. Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum, better late than never I suppose. Just kidding, really glad to have you on board buddy. My teacher lives 3,961 miles away in Nashville Tennessee. He is always responsive to my appeals for assistance. Always there inspiring me with new lessons. Listens to my feedback and always happy to create new material from the suggestions I put forward. His name is of course Banjo Ben. Glad you took the plunge and can now see what you have been missing all these years. Now go out and tell ALL your friends to come join you on banjobenclark.com

4 Likes

Glad to have you on board, @Triplett!

4 Likes

Enjoy the ride Danny. Welcome aboard It’s a great group here

5 Likes

Cool Bob. I was a BT on USS William R Rush DD-714 and USS Richard L. Page FFG-5.

4 Likes

Welcome. You’ll love it here.

4 Likes

Brother, small Navy! The Dickey P was in BIW in 85 when my first ship, FFG-56 USS Simpson was commissioned. And my brother Patrick served on her for a while late 80’s as an MM striker… can’t remember his Chief’s name off hand.

3 Likes

Thank you Bob for the kind words. When I first met Tony Rice several years back he said to me I have a musical name “Triplett” . I cant play a triplet on the banjo yet but I`ll get there… My uncle Vilas Triplett was in the Navy during WW2. Sorry for the loss of your friend and thank you for your service Sir.

2 Likes

Welcome Danny Triplett… What an appropriate name for a Banjo Player. I think and hope you will enjoy it as much as we all do. Roll on!

3 Likes

Thank you Archie. I believe everything happens when its suppose to. The Lord has blessed me with a killer Yates banjo and I knew I had to dig past YouTube to get to the meat and potatoes of Ben Clark`s treasure trove of information…

3 Likes

Thank You Ben. I read you bio and WOW… What a journey. I`m glad you settled on music and decided to teach others your gift. I have taken music lesson before and while there are many great players in the world not everyone can teach their craft to others. Thank you Sir…

3 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

The bottom three mp3s don’t even sound like the same song as the top mp3. I’m so confused.

1 Like

The top mp3 includes the banjo part. The bottom 3 are just the backing tracks at 3 different speeds. They help you get used to playing the banjo with accompanyment music.

By the way, I love your screen name! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Victoria

Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. As Mark points out what you are hearing in the bottom three Mp3 is what the Rhythm Guitar plays whist you play banjo. It takes a bit of time to get used to playing with the Guitar Backing Track, One thing that really helped me was TablEdit (or you can use the Free version TefView) Download the .tef files to your computer and you will be able to see the Banjo and Guitar TABs on different layers.

Here is a Tutorial on the use of TablEdit. Towards the end of the video at 4.26 Ben explains a little bit about the layers that house the lead and the backing tracks. How to toggle off the lead track so you can watch the TAB and practice whist listening to the backing track. In this tutorial Ben has used a Guitar lesson but the same applies to a banjo lesson. Hope this helps Victoria. Good Luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzS9NxVuNbg

2 Likes

Another newbie here…thanks for the info and link to TablEdit tutorial. Surely I just missed the explanation somewhere along the way, but I was totally lost as to what the TEF files were for or how to use them.

2 Likes

Hi Mark
Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum.

Was the TablEdit tutorial helpful. Were you able to open the .tef file and read the TAB ?

1 Like

Wow, that’s cool. I completely forgot we called it the Dickey P. What is BIW? We were home ported in Norfolk. I was onboard in 78 and 79. Jerry Blesch was Captain.

2 Likes

Oops. Somehow, I posted to the wrong thread. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Welcome Mark

1 Like