Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Boot Camp–Overview, Holding, And Strap

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-boot-camp–overview-holding-and-strap-banjo

After a brief orientation, we’ll cover the major parts of the 5-string banjo and learn how to hold it!

2 Likes

@BanjoBen what is a “cradle strap”? I’m having a difficult time finding a banjo strap that will attach at your recommended points. The ones I’m finding online seem to be really long and look to be attached under the neck.

1 Like

Hi Brent this is one version of a cradle strap. Basically the cradle strap wraps round the bottom of the rim to support the banjo. As opposed to being hung from the tension hooks

2 Likes

Precisely what @Archie said in his comment. I personally do not use a cradle strap, or at least I don’t run the strap underneath the banjo because I don’t like the angle makes my banjo sit.

2 Likes

Ben, will a leather strap keep an open back banjo from wanting to tilt the neck down? It seems I may want to add the resonator to balance out the weight better so it will not slide.

1 Like

It may not, but you can glue a piece of felt or other material to the underside that goes over your shoulder to keep it from slipping as much.

1 Like

Hello there. I’m a beginner at playing the banjo and I was wondering if there is a different way to holding the banjo if you are overweight? I have got a bit of a belly and I can’t help but wonder if it will affect my playing. I have an open back banjo.

2 Likes

Hi @dadimar84 Welcome to Ben’s Forum

I must confess to being a tad overweight but somehow I manage. Personally I rest the pot on my right thigh whilst sitting but I have friends as big as me position the banjo as @BanjoBen demonstrates in his lesson.

Check out this video of 4 times National Banjo Champion Gary Biscuit Davis.

2 Likes

Thanks for the video and the reply. I was just curious and maybe a bit worried that I was making a mistake by not adjusting the banjo according to my body type. May seem like nitpicking, most li,kely is. I just think about it quite a bit.

2 Likes

I think it’s important that it should feel comfortable. I have seen short straps and really long straps so a lot is down to personal choice. I did a lot of adjusting as a beginner until I found a position that suits me.

1 Like

My buddy Mike Dean is a monster on a 5 string…If it affects his playing in any way its for the good!

3 Likes

And perhaps my favorite banjo player, pound for pound, Dennis Caplinger shows us how it’s done!

3 Likes

I forgot about Dennis, he is a great banjo picker

1 Like

I have a Lakota strap and love the look and feel, but switched to a Neotech because I could unclip the strap when putting it in the case to so somewhere. How do you leave the Lakota strap on and put it in the case for travel? Thanks.

Hi @bobskart I don’t have a Lakota Strap. Mine are Dogwood Designs made by David Schenk. One is a cradle strap that wraps under the pot and tied with leather lances the other is fits on the tension hooks held in place with conchos.

I place my banjo’s in their cases and loosely folding the strap I feed it round the edge of the pot ensuring it doesn’t get trapped in the lid when closing the case.

1 Like

@Archie said it. I use a Lakota and just run it around the the edge of the case and tuck the rest under the base of the neck.

5 Likes

Thanks. I will have to give that a try. The strap is really soft which I love but tried laying it partially on top and didn’t like it there. Will try this and see.

1 Like