Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Banjo Backward Roll Study

You can do it, @dianshaw07! Let me and the others here know how we can help and support you!

1 Like

Just want to clarify. After playing the final note in a Reverse Roll, the next motion is actually a forward motion
to begin the Reverse Roll again.
For example, in measure 17 (Boil Dem Cabbage), the final note of the Reverse Roll is played with index(1).
The next note in measure 18 is played with middle (2) which briefly breaks the reverse motion as it moves forward or the beginning of the Reverse Roll again. Is this correct ??
Hope this makes sense ??!!:thinking:

2 Likes

Yep, this is because we need to “reset” to play consistent melody notes in Boil Dem Cabbage Down – we’re stopping the roll in the middle of it and starting at the beginning of the roll pattern again. This happens in the forward roll version of the song too. This doesn’t make up the roll itself; the definition of the reverse roll is always index following middle, thumb following index, middle following thumb, etc.

1 Like

Mike did you mean the definition of the forward roll is index, middle, thumb etc. ?
Thanks for clarifying my question. I think the problem might be that I’m not sure what the melody notes
are in Boil Dem Cabbage Down. Is there a tab with the indicated red squares (melody) available?
Thanks again.

1 Like

Nope, I mean that in the reverse roll the index follows the middle, the thumb follows the index, and the middle follows the thumb. I say “follows” because you can really start the roll on any finger (so I don’t like always saying “middle, index, thumb” or a particular order for a roll). The forward roll would have the middle following the index, the thumb following the middle, the index following the thumb, and so on and so forth.

I don’t believe there is one; I could make one for you, but I’m not sure how helpful it would be— the “melody” notes on the second string get very pushed around with each of the three variations (based on which finger you start the roll with), to the point where you almost can’t hear a clear melody anymore. It’s more an example to train you to recognize the feel of the roll and having the fingers land in different places in the measure based on which finger you start the roll with.

1 Like