Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Bag O' Licks– Tony Wray Banjo

Hi Ben, awesome lesson. There was a point that Tony went into an open C chord and was playing a very driving roll there as well. Any chance of expanding on that, and other backup rolls with some real drive. Not even necessarily complex, just powerful rolls in different chords and chord shapes. Thanks, Joey

Yes, we talk about it in the lesson, I think. We talk about how the pattern may change just a bit but the idea is the same. Have you been able to watch the whole thing?

Hi Ben,

I loved this lesson, it’s pretty advanced for me but it sure is fun! I also don’t know how to use this roll over the C and D chord or anything other than the open G chord. I’ve watched the entire lesson multiple times and missed something I’m sure.
Thanks
John

Ben, I have watched the entire lesson and well on my way with the utility roll and first two licks. I’m working on the 6th lick now as well, just because it’s Bad A–! I guess my main question is, without all the flair and flash, is there another utility roll as powerful as this one for other common chords to change between while still just providing the fullness. I hope this makes sense. Thanks again, Joey

This is for you and @jk1 , and whoever else it may help…hope it does!

8 Likes

@BanjoBen That Stelling Crusader looks and sounds amazing…

1 Like

Awesome! Ben, you are the man! I really do appreciate it. I am really focusing in on just working on my backup for the next few months. I feel that if I can play solid rolls and add in the various licks here and there, even on songs I don’t particularly know, I could still put together some type of break when it comes my turn in a jam. Thanks again.

1 Like

Awesome lesson. Love that utility wroll!

Thanks Ben! I really appreciate the help and will give that a try! I’ve been spending a lot of time working with your bag o’ licks lessons in the intermediate section of your website, so love this new lesson. Keep up the good work!

Great lesson! Every one of these licks–and especially how they fit into the utility roll–is money. Rip your face off drive. Too cool. Thanks for sharing, Tony and Ben.

1 Like

What I specifically appreciated is having the artist (Mr. Wray, in this case) talk through the construction of it. It feels to me that it is immensely helpful for all of us but enlightening for the guests also - to “break down” what seems to come so naturally to these gifted players. I think they -themselves - are challenged to stop and think just how and why they do what they do… but also the way @BanjoBen helps them realize that keeping the explanations basic for us and highlight subtle nuances to explore with the artists really “brings it home” for what is going on.

Thanks @BanjoBen for this series and for asking the insightful questions… the translatable ideas because I feel that artists of this caliber have trouble relating to us beginners and intermediate players because it is so natural for them.

Finally, I am just right there smilin’ with @BanjoBen when I hear these artists play because these guys are soooo awesome at what they do. OUTSTANDING - and WRAY cool! :sunglasses: !

3 Likes

Hey Folks, been at this for 40 years plus now. Although I do many styles, Irish, Swing etc… I always go back to the the roots. What I found challenging with Tony’s rolls were the backward -forward rolls. Never done it that way, Aways been a a forward roll after the slide from the start for bouncy Bluegrass into’s et…or for that matter any time after a slide.
Although after listening and practicing, I can’t change how I would do it, even if I wanted too. To me it sounds the same, same bouce and so on, to keep it forward the whole time. But, at the same time, his stuff in unbeatble and mine is not. IMO, you just play for the moment, not get in anyones face, not notice where the fingers go, cover uo the mistakes when then the right hand gets jacked, and there are many ways to do that as we all know. Ben and Tony have the heart and soul when it comes down to the forward roll. Guess what, I probably do also. Cheers

1 Like

Hi @BanjoBen, Any chance you could TAB out this mini C & D lesson and add it to the Main Lesson Page

Hey @BanjoBen. Thanks for this lesson. It’s a great one. I’ve got them down finally. I’m having a little trouble with the timing of the triplets. Is there a backing track anywhere that would stay in G that I can speed up and slow down so I can practice along with? I know Band In a Box is what I need but don’t have it yet. I do have tabledit but don’t have a rhythm that stays in one chord. Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m not able, but I bet you can do it! Don’t forget that you can slow down the video speed.

@BanjoBen My suggestion wasn’t for my benefit but for others, Adding the video and the TAB would extend the lesson. Over time this thread will disappear.

@Archie Do you think it would be good for me to make an entire lesson from that?

Hi @BanjoBen I think this mini lesson makes a great addendum to Tony’s Lesson, It’s easy enough to follow, my suggestion for TAB was really to provide a practice resource for others. As you point out it wouldn’t be too difficult for me to TAB it out.

Does it require a full lesson? Hmm… If you had a lot more content to add then yes why not. It’s always great to learn more backup licks and combinations especially fancy stuff like this.

Setting aside my personal preferences I think a popular topic would be to see you complete the Waypoints Series with a Lesson in D chords. I have read a few requests for this and I know it’s already high on your to do list. I also appreciate you have had a ton of other stuff in your life to deal with so no pressure from me Buddy.

It’s all good.

One final thought as the Holiday Season rapidly approaches I am guessing you have something festive in the pipeline involving Banjo Billy and his kinfolk. Does he have singing sisters too ? :rofl::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I would love to see tabs for C and D because your utube video was very helpful. I know I’m only an intermediate player at best so this is very helpful to me. I’m thinking there are licks in C and D also that weren’t mentioned and that could easily turn into a full lesson for me. I can play the utility Wroll in G,C and D and the first 3 licks in G and it would be cool to have a couple licks in the others. I’m not advanced enough to figure them out without your help. :joy:

Okay, I’m going to do that this week and expand on it a bit!