Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Bag O' Licks- Endings

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/bag-o-licks-endings-banjo

Many banjo endings have two parts…a question, and an answer! In this tab, I give you 4 questions, or “A” parts, and 5 answers, or “B” parts. Now, it’s up to you to put them together to make your own custom ending!

I do have a question. I went through these and know them. What I struggle with is in a jam session. When or how do you know when to start the ending? I struggle as to when to end it. Do you have a video on approaching the ending of the song. I try to follow the beat and I still tend to mess it up. Any help would be great.

Hi @S-Max Steven. A good way to practice using these endings is to use one of @BanjoBen ‘s existing lessons and substituting the ending on the lesson for one of the endings from the Bag O’ licks Lesson. Not all of these BOL Endings may work with the lesson you choose but you’ll gain a lot of experience from experimenting. In a way it’s like the first steps to improvisation. The more you experiment the more confidence you’ll gain and when the time comes you’ll execute the ending. As a rule of thumb if another player kicks of a tune they generally end it. So if your the person kicking off it’s your job to end it. Hope this answers your query

I tend to struggle when it comes time to end the song/start the ending of the song. I dont know who to follow as far as starting the ending or should I just know its time to do the ending type of thing. Im comfortable ending a song on guitar with ease but yeah, the struggle is real when Im rolling on the banjo.

1 Like

I’ll make a lesson for this, thanks!

1 Like

This last jam I went to when it came time to end the song, there was a guy that has been playing banjo for 40+ years so I just kinda went alot more quiet and let him end the song. So a lesson on this would be awesome. Thankyou!

A jam session ending lesson would be awesome. Songs you don’t know but when playing along with people, you can still end when the more advanced players end.

1 Like