Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Bag O' Licks- Blues Roll Licks

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/bag-o-licks-blues-roll-licks-banjo-advanced

Eight hot blues roll licks to throw down all over that 1 chord! Don’t forget to tell folks to pick their jaws up off the floor when you’re done.

10 Likes

Great stuff @BanjoBen

What are the finger picks you have on?

Thanks

1 Like

I think Ben uses the Shelors.

Great licks!

2 Likes

Love it. Looking forward to sprinkling a few of these licks to set the tone. The licks sound very bluesy, very mean. Nice!

3 Likes

Yeah!

I gotta pull off with a pinkie… I’ve gone all these years without needing to do that, and you went and changed that :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Do you know if they are the Wide band ones?

Don’t know.

1 Like

I don’t use the wide bands but may need to check those out!

2 Likes

Cool thanks @BanjoBen for clarifying that

1 Like

Looks like some good stuff there!

1 Like

Cool lesson Ben, I had quit banjo for awhile but am back on the saddle and making strides once more. I was struggling to do the middle finger pull off going up, so used to going down but I’ll be practicing that. By the way I love the Crowe Blue Chip and Shelors too.

Fun fact I called the number on my Shelor box around six or seven years ago and Sammy answered, I asked if he’d consider making them out of nickel silver but the same shape, he replied that he was pretty happy with them the way they were and never had any returns or complaints, so I said no Man, I’m not saying quit offering them in SS but add a nickel silver option in addition and he was like who are you :joy: Long story long, he said he’d talk to his guy but I guess it never went anywhere.

3 Likes

He was fresh out of nickels!

4 Likes

If he did offer those in nickel silver I’m pretty sure they’d be a strong seller… maybe if you asked him :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’d absolutely love a nickel set. I use the stainless SS picks with all of my instruments, but stainless doesn’t stay on my fingers nearly as well as nickel. Maybe @BanjoBen can find us an option?

2 Likes

Hey Ben! I’m just a tad bit late, but I noticed in the second lick, you have two thumb picks in a row around the pull-off, which is a lot harder than two fingers (which I’d think you’d know). I also noticed that you used your index finger for the second one of those.

Ahh, that should be the index on the tab. Thanks for catching that!

new and want to try out the lesson.
Reads as “unlocked” but only get the intro.
kentr

Howdy @bkentr!

Welcome to the site! Scroll down the page and click on the button that says Licks 1-3, then Licks 4-8. That will bring up that lesson video in the player at the top of the page:

Hi Ben,
Thanks, and I did find the “scroll” and access the lessons.

The lessons are great. The teaching is great. And the instructions are clear.

But I am not great at following them. It has been that way for a long time.
Have the “stack” of instruction books, CD’s, and tab. Have used “Tef View” for
all that time, and learned some.
I will make a strong effort to learn the “licks” from these lessons. The “pause” button helps.
kentr

1 Like