Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Backup Chord Drills: Learn the Neck!

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/backup-chord-drills-learn-the-neck-banjo

Everyone needs more practice envisioning chord shapes up the neck! Let’s get practice making chords and playing in other keys, but we’re not going to use Cape-Jose this time (quizás la próxima vez, sí?).

5 Likes

You can play in other keys? I am learning every day!

6 Likes

I can tell this is going to be really helpful. Thanks Banjo Ben!

3 Likes

A quick and interesting piece of revision. I like the Old Home Place & Salt Creek progressions. thank_you

2 Likes

Great lesson. Revisiting all the backup banjo tracks. The boogie boogie and this are my favorite. I posted a backup question on the Arkansas Traveler lesson. That song is a beast for backup. Can someone better than me help me out with a strategy to make the quick changes playing backup on that lesson.

1 Like

Loved the lesson. Very helpful to say the 1 or 4 chord as u are going alone. Thanks

1 Like

Going alone… spellcheck got me

Going through the chord progressions

1 Like

What’s your thoughts on using the bar shape at 5th and 7th fret for the 4 and 5 chord for G in F shape?

1 Like

Hi Claudie welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. I use all the chord shapes as and when needed. Generally when playing a bar chord I’ll fret just the first three strings.

The F & D shapes I tend to use partial chords fretting only the strings required to make a triad.

If your a beginner I encourage you to work through Ben’s Beginner’s path, learn the full chord shapes. As you gain experience working through Ben’s lessons you’ll be taught partial chords, major as well as minor and 7th chords.

Definitely an option but less ways to play licks in that shape.

Thanks Ben. The lesson helped me understand better what I thought I knew but couldn’t articulate. You made it very easy to understand.

3 Likes

That’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in three days!:rofl::rofl::joy::joy::rofl:
And now it is forever stuck in my head, ready to spring on an unsuspecting crowd
at a moment’s notice.

Who said it’s no fun to practice? Hahahaha!

Been learning banjo for three years but have never been confident in chord theory/inversions/playing backup. It’s finally starting to click for me, thanks to lessons like this one. Can’t thank you enough for that!
PS: Cape-Jose is adorable.

5 Likes

Awww, thank you @Ellie_Belle! Is your middle name Belle? That’s my little girl’s middle name, and the other little girl is Ellie [Mae]

4 Likes

@BenjoBen Oh, good name choices! :smiley: Not my middle name - Ellie Belle was what my dad called me growing up. And Ellie Mae has been another nickname through my life!

3 Likes

after ??? years I finally figured out how to slow this stuff down

2 Likes

You got it now, @carlwells2535!

“Cape-Jose”

LOL!!! So glad I’m going through all of these lessons I’ve missed over the past years.

2 Likes

I am really struggling with switching my index and middle finger between the F shape and the D shape. It’s like my index finger and ring finger are connected. I’ve even tried holding my ring finger down with my right hand while just making the switches with my left hand and I can feel the muscles pulling in my ring finger! It’s like a rebellious teenager, it has a mind of its own! HELP! Any ideas or drills to tame my wild ring finger? (I’ve been working on this for about 6 months now)

I am right where you are. Ben makes that “finger flipping” looks so easy, but apparently my fingers didn’t watch the video, so they also tend to run off in all directions.
What makes it smoother? Practice, but not too much. As soon as your fingers get all screwed up, practice a forward roll for one minute, then try finger flipping again.
For me, training my fingers is like training my dog. It takes a bit of time, a lot of repetition and keep it fun or the dog won’t do anything.
As a Beginner, that’s my expert advice.

2 Likes