Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Away in a Manger- Banjo

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/away-in-a-manger-banjo-banjo-intermediate

We start with a chord melody version to get our positions under our fingers, then add rolls to fill it in a bit!

6 Likes

Well well well. That’s pretty sweet, I love it. Nice job @BanjoBen

4 Likes

Nice!..can’t wait to give it a try! Hey, looks like a fancy new neon sign on the mantle!

4 Likes

Yeah, really neat sign. When I first saw it, I thought it should have a blinking “And Good Eats” on the side of it. I don’t know why these things pop into my head. Maybe this one is because I know of @BanjoBen’s affection for BBQ and Whataburger. But I really do like the sign.

5 Likes

Hi Ben,

I love this lesson however am really struggling with trying to bar the second fret while playing the partial D chord, the note on the high D string at the second fret is really hard for me to play clean. Any suggestions?
Thanks

2 Likes

Where is your thumb located on the back of the neck? Wrap your thumb a bit more over the top and make good contact with the back of the neck and see if that helps.

1 Like

I will try that. Thanks and what an awesome song to play. So beautiful!

2 Likes

I seem to be having trouble with getting good sound from the rakes. Any advice there?

Mike

@boonem

Mike,
If you could make a video of yourself doing them Ben could probably get a lot better idea of how to correct any problems you may be having.

2 Likes

Hi Mike, Don’t be afraid to make noise. Push - pull through the strings and as @Fiddle_wood Dave says post a video

1 Like

Hi

Great lesson. Thanks for adding words to ur arraignment. I’ve been doing that and it makes it easier to learn and get good timing on the notes.

Thanks again

Susan

2 Likes