Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Auld Lang Syne on Banjo

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/auld-lang-syne-on-banjo-banjo-advanced

The whole crew gets together in this cheerful reunion to teach you a holiday favorite! Merry Christmas to y’all, and Happy New Year!

7 Likes

“We’re gonna get diminished if you know what I mean”. Thanks for always making it so fun here Ben!

3 Likes

aye2 This is going to keep me busy for a while @BanjoBen

2 Likes

Just a word about the pronunciation of Syne. Here in Scotland Syne is pronounced Sign.

I think American’s latched on to the way Bing Crosby pronounced the word in one of his moves where he emphasises the letter Z and it kinda stuck there ever since. To a Scotsman’s ear ZINE just doesn’t sound right, at bit like playing a bum note

Some facts on the word Syne

syne adv. since, before now, ago; next, afterwards; then, so, etc.

Syne is an extremely versatile word that can fulfil several different grammatical functions and has a range of meanings, many of which relate to time. The word has been used throughout the history of Scots and is first recorded meaning next, subsequently, or then.

In Robert Lindsay of Pitscottie’s sixteenth-century History and Cronicles of Scotland, we find such examples as:

“Heirefter the king depairtit out of Sanctandrois … syne passit to Falkland … Syne passit to Stirling”.

Thanks to the long-standing historical exodus of Scots from their own country, Auld Lang Syne is recognised in many countries throughout the world as the theme tune marking the beginning of the New Year of the Gregorian calendar. Auld Lang Syne is, quite literally, ‘old long ago’, though a more idiomatic translation such as ‘old times’ or ‘old friendship’ does it better justice.

Inevitably, in some far-flung parts of the globe, something that we might call the ‘Mairzy Doats syndrome’ has produced olanzyne misunderstandings that are more than ‘a little bit jumbled and jivey’. Traditional Scottish Songs are not strangers to this phenomenon, and indeed the word mondegreen, ‘a misinterpreted word or phrase’, owes its existence to one such incident.

In Harper’s Magazine in 1954, American author Sylvia Wright coined this term in honour of a childhood memory:

“my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy’s ‘Reliques’, and one of my favorite poems began, as I remember: Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands, Oh, where hae ye been? They hae slain the Earl Amurray, And Lady Mondegreen”.

Those who remember the fate of the Bonnie Earl will recall that they in fact ‘laid him on the green’. Over the festive season, while enjoying a guid-willie waucht (a good-will dram) or pint-stowp (mug, tankard), or when takin the haun o a trusty fiere (friend, comrade, partner), spare a thought for the Scots legacy of times past.

Syne is not a word commonly used in the Scottish language today save for a song, story or a poem.

2 Likes

Banjo Billy is BACK!! And so is his cousin in the, um, kilt…

This song is so catchy; the chord progression really hits the spot!

3 Likes

The least said about the kilt the better! Keep the knees together Larry @BanjoBen I mean Tex Critter got more than an eye full.

2 Likes

Mares eat oat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid’ll eat ivy too. Wouldn’t you?

I don’t know if that nursery rhyme is popular in the States, Archie. I sure remember it well.

1 Like

Hi @andyorrguitar Andy not one I recall.

Mairzy dotes and dozey dotes…

Me thinks that is London Cockney

Some old sheet music I’ve had that was my Mom’s. I used to play her sheet music practicing my instrument when I was in jr high school band cuz the same ole same ole band music got stale after a while. I’ve never ever heard anyone reference this particular song in my life till @andyorrguitar & @Archie just did above.
Wow, blast from the past! :slightly_smiling_face:
Oops, just just realized this is a discussion abt the lesson thread, sorry for the mis-post folks…

5 Likes

The post fit perfect to me!

4 Likes

Love the Buc-ee’s sweater!!

2 Likes

Another holiday classic - always nice to see the cousins together again! Well… seeing from the waist up, that is. :wink:

2 Likes

Any tips for measures 25-26? When I bar the 5th fret for measure 25 I keep getting dead strings on 26 because of the finger positioning touching the strings when I put my finger on the sixth fret of the middle g string.

1 Like

Hi Keith. This is a classic Scruggs LH fingering. The shape can be used at several locations on the neck so take your time to memorize it.

At the 5th fret, bar just the first three strings with your Index finger and fret the 1st string at the 7th fret with your pinky. Pause the video and check the angle of Ben’s LH. Look closely at the three string bar. Be sure to place your thumb behind the neck. Don’t squeeze too tightly or you get dead or distorted notes

2 Likes

Thanks Archie. I can do it but I can’t do it if I hold the position in measure 26. I have to keep picking up my pinkie and ring finger to do it, otherwise I end up deadening the g string with my ring.

1 Like

Right so there is a shift in position at measure 26. Focus on the first half of measure 26 by adding the middle finger to the 3rd string whilst maintaining the bar shape. Once you have that down add the pinky or ring finger to the 8th fret.

Trust me your not going to learn this fingering cleanly overnight. It’s going to take a lot of trial and error. Patience, Practice and Perseverance are key to nailing these two measures back to back.

Don’t attempt to eat the whole cake in one sitting. Slow as it may seem, small bites will help you make better progress.

I would expect to work on this for a week or two before I got the shift right and I am very familiar with the fingering at measure 25.

1 Like

I love this arrangement! I need to pick up the speed or it just doesn’t sound right

Great fun! Will you be posting guitar tabs?

2 Likes