Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Amazing Grace Build-a-Break

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/amazing-grace-build-a-break-banjo

We start with the basic melody in G that anyone can play, then fill in the spaces with pinches, and finally apply some rolls that complement the melody.

1 Like

My favorite pattern for the chords is a forward-reverse pattern, switching between the low G and low D string each time for the start of the chord.

2 Likes

Great Easy Lesson ! Picked right up on it

2 Likes

Dear Ben,
Met your sisters last week in Arizona. Your family is soooo cool! Love you guys. Keep it all up.
Your “Jesus Loves Me” nearly made me cry. I’m a little, but tough guy with a big heart. Because of your sisters, I now have your “Banjo Ben” sticker on my Gibson case.
I’ll be working on your song for the next time out. We’re Fireside Bluegrass—just a bunch of folks going through our next mid-life crises.
God bless you. Praying for you all, and the new bass player. She’s special, also. Sheila??
BobTieszen

2 Likes

Thank you, @bob.tieszen! Yep, Susannah is her name…she’s a little firecracker!

1 Like

Hi Ben, learning all the way in Scotland here.

Just wondered if it was just me, but lesson 3 seems to be unavailable, do you know if it is a bug?

What tips do you have for fretting and rolling at the same time? I’m really struggling with it.

2 Likes

Welcome, and sorry for the delay! The lesson 3 is working for me, perhaps it is for you now?

Be sure and work through all the lessons as I cover the fundamentals step by step :wink:

2 Likes

Ben, do you have the vamping tab for Amazing Grace?

2 Likes

I don’t think so, but I teach the chords in the banjo backup lessons and there are chord names written on the Amazing Grace tab.

3 Likes

Ben,you mentioned having covered vamping. I have taken all the lessons thus far. When and where did we cover it. I don’t remember it (my memory isn’t that great) and am not seeing it. In the lesson titles. Thx, Dennis

2 Likes

Hi Dennis

@BanjoBen has a lesson here on Chords and Basic Vamping, but I don’t see a specific lesson for 3/4 waltz time backup vamping but I am fairly sure he has created a lesson on this topic.

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/intro-to-banjo-backup-banjo?from_track=beginner-banjo

3 Likes

The Rhythm & Chords section here was great – really felt like I was learning some of the tools necessary both to improvise and build my own melodies. I’ve been working my way through these lessons systematically over the last month, so I’m looking forward to more lessons like that in the future!

5 Likes

could you add tab for the rest of the song at some point in the future.

2 Likes

Hi Austin welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. I have checked both sets of TAB and each has the three solos Ben teaches in the lesson. So I am not quite sure what your asking for here.

2 Likes

Hi Henry welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum, Glad to hear your making progress. I am sure in time Ben will add more of these build-a-break lessons but there are a ton of other great lessons here that help you improve your improvisation skills, Be sure to check out the Bag-o-lick lessons and the Alan Munde Fretboard Geography and Waypoint Lessons

2 Likes

Hey Archie could he possible be talking about tabing out the rhythm and backup section where Ben shows us some basic backup rolling

1 Like

Hi Emilie you could be right, But @BanjoBen covered this in a response to Carl’s query and I followed up with a similar answer to Dennis’ query. Perhaps Ben will take a fresh look at this once Austin responds.

2 Likes

My head hurts. The 3 timing is killing me

1 Like

The tips you provided on construction of banjo arrangements have demystified the process; i am encouraged by the latitude provided for choosing alternatives to parts of an arrangement hat you might prefer -thus canceling the idea of an absolute right or wrong in the way a piece is played - and perhaps substituting on the basis of your own sound preference or an innnovative phrasing

4 Likes

You are correct, sir.

1 Like