Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Discuss the Banjo lesson: Alan Munde's Backup

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/alan-mundes-backup-banjo

How often do you get to hear a banjo lesson discuss his tricks of the trade? Not often enough, that’s for sure. Enjoy this interview with Mr. Alan Munde!

2 Likes

Do you still do Skype lessons

1 Like

As of now, no.

1 Like

Lol, ok worth a shot. I’m just a 46 year old left handed guy but lovin very minute of this!!! Thanks again!!!

2 Likes

I wish I could! I’m just too slammed right now, my friend. But PLEASE take advantage of the video swap forum category where you can play things and I’ll critique and answer you with video.

1 Like

Thank you so much!!! I’m a nurse practitioner in Chicago if you guys do mission work and need donations ( money , medical , etc) let me know maybe I can help. I am on Facebook under banjo Jim and tried to friend ya.

Have a blessed Easter

Jim

1 Like

Oh WOW… What a cool lesson. Thank you Mr. Ben and Mr. Munde. Killer stuff

2 Likes

That lesson alone is worth your annual Goldpick Subscription

1 Like

I’m glad I spent the time to watch this series of videos.
I even took notes haha. I listened to that Little Maggie on youtube a number of times but
couldn’t find the high single note Alan mentioned. I thought maybe it was after the dobro break.
The play out was fantastic. The lead, the tasty backup, the melodic stuff… wow!
Primary Takeaway - I can’t win or lose as long as I don’t stop !!

3 Likes

I have watched all of the backup series now and most of Alan Munde’s Fret board Geography,
and my question is this, what is the main focus in backup, when do you play the chord walking and when do you play the traditional style backup and how to you arrange them to fit any song?
Thanks

4 Likes

That’s a great question Jesse, I look forward to@BanjoBen’s response

2 Likes

Those are the only questions you have? Hahaha. Those are the questions and they’re great questions for sure.

The main focus in backup is always to do what the song needs, which when you answer that question it becomes the answer to your other questions. I’m not trivializing, I’m saying that those questions are truly what we’re after. And there’s really no wrong answer there because depending on how you answer those questions determines what your style is. By the way, chord walking is traditional, it’s just a way to get from chord to chord. As far as arranging them to fit a song, you need to know which chords are in the song and how many measures each chord lasts. Then, it’s like a puzzle as you plug in your backup to the measures and the chords that are in them.

6 Likes

For another example of Alan’s backup, on YouTube look up Nine Pound Hammer and Alan Munde.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Some waltz time

4 Likes

Thanks guys this makes good sense.

4 Likes

Is there a lesson for the Redwing song Alan plays in that last video? I liked that a lot.

2 Likes

Hi Steve

Here you go

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/red-wing-alan-munde-banjo?from_track=advanced-banjo-checklist

1 Like

Alan talks about a Flatt and Scruggs Carnegie performance of Little Maggie. I think the part he is talking about is around 1:10.

2 Likes

I just reached this lesson, and as soon as Alan mentioned “Little Maggie” I went right to it. Guess what? I found that plink plink plink right where you did!
!:09-1:10

It nice to know I’m not imagining things…again. :grin:

1 Like