Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Ding Ding Lick

Hey Folks,

I feel about like Nebuchadnezzar and his dreams these days, he said to the wise men in the book of Daniel 2:5 (KJV)
5 The king answered and said to the Chaldeans, The thing is gone from me:

Back in the seventy’s I took banjo lessons from an outstanding banjo teacher named, Judge Parker, and he taught me a great lick on the banjo and like Nebuchadnezzar, “its gone from me”.

I went looking for the lick and I think I found it played by none other than Judge Parker, he’s playing with Josh Grigsby and the County Line Band, The lick I would love to get back is on their album called, “Ruby Lane Memories”, its on a YouTube movie and the song is: “I Hung My Head and I Cried”. Judge is the only banjo player I’ve heard play this lick, I call it Judge’s “Ding, Ding” lick.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7921s6cZ8 The lick starts around 1:50 / 2:21 on the time line.

Many thanks folks.

Butch

1 Like

Not seeing it Butch are you sure you got all the link. Maybe it’s just not available this side of the big pond.

Archie, Came through fine here.

Butch, the lick with the triplets?

2 Likes

Must be blocked for the UK. It happens quite a lot but I don’t understand why :confused:. :rage::sob:

:sunglasses: Tiny tantrum subsides to a state of normality :blush:

That triplet was the only lick that stood out to me, too.

Perhaps this is it:

2 Likes

Hey Ben,

You nailed it, only he was doing the ding, three times, actually that part can be changed 1-2-3 dings, this we used in place of the old “g” lick.

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to work on this, I surly appreciate it.

Butch

2 Likes

Hey Archie,

Thanks for your time, see Ben’s post below, he got it.

Butch

1 Like

Mark,

Many thanks, yeah wanted the triple dingie thing, thanks for your help.

Butch

1 Like

Hey James your very welcome. Thank you for the great post we are All that bit wiser for you asking and Ben’s response.

Archie, thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Butch